• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The joys of survivor Broncos, fuel sending units

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
If you are struggling with it running right, it is worth starting with the gas tanks. I was surprised to see the condition of these in a virtually rust free Bronco. 20231001_100935.jpg

Last edited:

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, hard to believe. I'd agree, it appears gas tanks and related would be a very good place to start!

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Survivor is the correct word here! I have had several Broncos with the original sending units and they looked dull, but never coated in gunk. That tank was a swamp.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Been working on getting my convertible back on the road. The last several fill ups the fuel gauge wasn't working. Having old gas in the tank I decided to drop the tank. The tank sock was torn. The end of the pickup tube had some buildup. The return line was clear. Turns out most of the tube was clogged. Looked like coagulated rubber. Dug out all I could and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner for several heated cycles. Finally cleared.

Amazingly the outside was much clearer than those. Replaced all fuel soft lines.

OP
OP
H

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Survivor is the correct word here! I have had several Broncos with the original sending units and they looked dull, but never coated in gunk. That tank was a swamp.
Believe it or not it is the yellow Bronco, I bought from you years ago. I has been up on a car lift for a couple of years when other projects got done first.

OP
OP
H

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Been working on getting my convertible back on the road. The last several fill ups the fuel gauge wasn't working. Having old gas in the tank I decided to drop the tank. The tank sock was torn. The end of the pickup tube had some buildup. The return line was clear. Turns out most of the tube was clogged. Looked like coagulated rubber. Dug out all I could and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner for several heated cycles. Finally cleared.

Amazingly the outside was much clearer than those. Replaced all fuel soft lines.
I think the ethanol fuel is causing a lot of this, dissolving and melting rubber hoses. The inside of the tank was awful too, the outside was rust free in amazing shape.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The return line was clear.
This for a ‘73 by chance?
Did you happen to get any pictures of it? If not, is it still out where you can get some good shots?
They’ve been documented to a certain extent over the years, but it would be nice to have some more detailed pictures of one of the unicorn return line sending units.

Thanks

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I think the ethanol fuel is causing a lot of this, dissolving and melting rubber hoses. The inside of the tank was awful too, the outside was rust free in amazing shape.
I concur, that's the reason I updated the fuel lines.

Updated the fuel lines on my 66 after going through the carb and seeing all the black in the bowl.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
This for a ‘73 by chance?
Did you happen to get any pictures of it? If not, is it still out where you can get some good shots?
They’ve been documented to a certain extent over the years, but it would be nice to have some more detailed pictures of one of the unicorn return line sending units.

Thanks
Paul, I wasn't very clear about the vehicle, it was my 69 firebird convertible. No I didn't take pictures, I'm not very good with doing that. When I'm working on something I don't even think about it. Down the road I kick myself for not taking pictures, apparently I don't kick very hard since I keep doing it.

Sorry I couldn't help.

The biggest take for me is how destructive ethanol fuel is on old fuel systems.

blade

Maker of sharp things
Loc.
Santa Fe
Put sta-bil fuel additive in anything you keep parked or don't use often. My dad uses it in everything, He had a truck parked and not run for five years and when he sold it we fired it right up and the new owner drove it 40 miles with zero problems.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always forget to take pictures too!
And, I always forget to put Sta-Bil in because I always think I’m gonna be running the engine again soon.🙄

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dropped tanks when chasing a fuel delivery issue. (PO sold it as he wasn’t driving it much). Similar findings. Main sending unit was fine, reinstalled. Aux tank - not so much....

Only run non-ethanol fuel and try to keep the tanks full. Would rather feel the pain at the pump rather than deal with the damage done by ethanol.

IMG_2278.jpeg IMG_2279.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2278.jpeg
    IMG_2278.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: