• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Throttle cable hitting air filter - Sticking

lawnmower00

Hi Everyone!

When I pressed my gas peddle I noticed it sticking sometimes... I looked under the hood (the bronco is newish to me) and noticed the throttle catches on the bottom of the air filter. AND THEN, I noticed a tie-wrap on the throttle linkage...

Any fixes for the air filter? A certain type that may work better?

And what the heck is that tie wrap there for?!?

Please help

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 60

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, you have an old Carter AFB.
They are now Edelbrock AFB carbs.
I think the linkage is hitting the bottom of the air cleaner.
Probably a different style air cleaner could fix that.
You could drive a little with no air cleaner to test that.
It looks like the cable tie is holding the automatic transmission kick down lever. You must have a stick shift or you would need to hook that up.
Good luck

OP
OP
L

lawnmower00

Hi, you have an old Carter AFB.
They are now Edelbrock AFB carbs.
I think the linkage is hitting the bottom of the air cleaner.
Probably a different style air cleaner could fix that.
You could drive a little with no air cleaner to test that.
It looks like the cable tie is holding the automatic transmission kick down lever. You must have a stick shift or you would need to hook that up.
Good luck

Thanks for the reply!

It is an auto with the C4 - so this tie wrap is making it so it can downshift?

Sorry if that’s a stupid question!

Any air filters setups people recommend?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The tie wrap is there because parts are missing and it keeps park of the kickdown from flopping around. The tie wrap shoule NOT be there. There should be a rod going from the throttle linkage to the transmission. So full throttle it will force a downshift. My '77 F250 (as a reference point) would shift at 2500RPM at full throttle without the linkage but with the linkage it would shift at 4000 RPM. A lot of performance is lost if you don't have that 2500 to 4000 RPM window. Someone was a lazy hack while working on the Bronco sometime in the past.

As for the air cleaner, it is some random aftermarket piece. Doesn't even have the correct element in it (too small). Recomending one is difficult, there is always this balancing act of clearing the carb, clearing the hood, clearing the distributor, not cleaning out the wallet. I've even had to go to the trouble of getting a drop base air cleaner housing then having to put an air filter spacer under it to get stuff to fit. What works for someone may or may not work for someone else.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, you should try to find the kick down linkage or your engine will lug after you slow down and the RPM s are really too low for the tranny to work right.
If you have a speed shop like parts store nearby maybe they can recommend and air cleaner.
Edelbrock style carb so maybe an Edelbrock air cleaner.
Try driving with out it .
Good luck

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was thinking a little motivation to the air cleaner too
A junk yard would be a breast place to source those parts
Find a correct throttle linkage diagram and go from there

When you hit the gas the the Tehran’s downshift pretty quickly

OP
OP
L

lawnmower00

The tie wrap is there because parts are missing and it keeps park of the kickdown from flopping around. The tie wrap shoule NOT be there. There should be a rod going from the throttle linkage to the transmission. So full throttle it will force a downshift. My '77 F250 (as a reference point) would shift at 2500RPM at full throttle without the linkage but with the linkage it would shift at 4000 RPM. A lot of performance is lost if you don't have that 2500 to 4000 RPM window. Someone was a lazy hack while working on the Bronco sometime in the past.

This Bronco has had many finds of a lazy hack... haha. Mysteries abound everywhere. Is there a difference between getting a rod or a cable? Is there a certain kit you'd suggest? Thanks again for your help!

OP
OP
L

lawnmower00

I was thinking a little motivation to the air cleaner too
A junk yard would be a breast place to source those parts
Find a correct throttle linkage diagram and go from there

When you hit the gas the the Tehran’s downshift pretty quickly

I'll definitely go hit up a junk yard in a couple of weeks!