• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tilt, telescope pod type steering column for EB???

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Ok, A while back I posted about the steering column in my 04 J..p. Having found a full service manual, I discovered that the turn signal and wiper stalks are dedicated circuits and self-contained so wouldn’t have to deal with any computer connections. The wiper delay logic and control circuits are even contained within the unit. It also has cruise control’s on the steering wheel but those are based on analog voltage sent to the PCM for control so tougher to use if you wanted cruise.

Mom has a mid teens Edge that has nice manual tilt and telescope and some research shows that the early Edges (around 2009 if I have seen correctly) had similar. A question would be how far back would you have to go to find discrete wiring like in my 04. In looking at it the column itself is simple and seems like mounting would take a fairly simple bracket. The pod might take dash mods for clearance but not an uncommon thing for a lot of builds. I like the ease of servicing this column offers. Two screws and the covers off, and 2 or maybe 4 more and lights, turn signals and wipers are out. For the horn you’d have to pull the wheel as that comes from the clock spring under the wheel that feeds the airbag and cruise switches as well. Airbag would have to be removed and space filled somehow for a conversion.

Anyway, just wondering about anyones experience with a vehicle in the mid 2000’s that had this style column, bonus if it telescopes, double bonus if you have a manual that shows it has discrete circuits. :)(y)(y)(y) I have a feeling newer vehicles may have the controls feeding the computer which would make it impossible to use in a Bronco. Thanks for any that have owned or worked on one. Probably bonus points in there for a Ford column similar to my 04 J. ;) Wish I could be walking the junkyard today..it’s 60 here today, but I‘m stuck doing some plumbing. :cry:

Scott

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You’re looking for different ones with the goal of putting it in an EB?

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
You’re looking for different ones with the goal of putting it in an EB?
Yes…due to intermittent issues with turn signals and emergency flasher on my 04 Rubicon I dug into it to change the flasher and troubleshoot. I was struck by how easy and quick it was to get at and replace either of the stalk related components If needed. Ive had an older GM tilt column apart when the pivot bolts came loose leaving the steering wheel like a wet noodle. Got it fixed with one or two special tools but time consuming, fiddly and not fun. The local pik and pull lists steering columns for 90 something bucks a far cry from the aftermarket columns which need a wheel/hardware as well. I just hate spending a grand just to get a tilt wheel. Save that for higher priority items.

Im just not very familiar with what vehicles out there had columns with the pod style or if others are just as easy to work on. And the under dash tilt parts are exposed, and not buried inside a column. Just basically a framework containing the shaft under the dash, 4 mounting bolts from what I could tell. The biggest negative is not knowing yet if a portion of the dash would need mods to provide some clearance for the pod.

I could grab some pics if you‘ve not seen the guts of this style column and pod? Thanks Paul

Scott

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, I'd like to see that. I can't imagine a column with that much stuff in it not needing a bigger hole in the EB dash.
The ones I've worked on were all fiddly and awkward to work on. I certainly liked all the functional controls, but certain GM ones do seem to be trouble prone, and trouble some. The GM W-body cars (Regal, GTP, Impala, etc) from '97 to '04 were particularly troublesome with their failure prone turn-signal switch (multi-function, or as we like to call them, "mal-function" switch) and the strange ignition switch design that needs the whole harness replaced with it.
Older Toyota's seemed to have a nice small package, but that probably means most of the control functions were separated between in-column and under-dash bits.

Have always wanted a better idea for a Bronco column.

Paul

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Here's a few quick shots...
1 is the controls...a couple of screws and it lifts off the column....multipin connector on the lower left side. Clock spring just to the left of the wheel.
2 is a view with the top cover on...about 6" across the pod.
3 is the tilt lock, multipin lower left and clockspring connector on right.
4 is the column and mounts. 2 bolts up above and 2 toward the back...cam lock on left side. U-joint and shaft just visible at the bottom.

Dont know if it’s a downside but I found Jeep doesn’t even have some of the parts. Looks like Dorman has aftermarket parts, whether their cheap China crap I don’t know.

Scott

Attachments

• 20211224_104714.jpg
    20211224_104714.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20211224_105304.jpg
    20211224_105304.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20211224_105713.jpg
    20211224_105713.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20211224_105649.jpg
    20211224_105649.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks almost as if it’s the right length between the wheel and the end of the bulky section. Might actually fit in front of a bronco dash without cutting.
But that’s an awful lot of busy underneath for the lack of space we have to work with. Lotta measuring to do, but if we can finally find one that’s a pretty straightforward bolt on it would be worth it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd forgotten about your project's column Steve. Thanks for bringing it back up.

Paul

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
This tilt/cruise column (no telescope except during collision) wasn't very difficult to mount - I don't think I even modified the original firewall; I think I just bolted on some intermediate brackets, but it's been a few decades.
Thanks Steve! Looks similar to the 96 F250 here but the cruise controls are close to parallel on it so not quite the same year. Nice to install I’m sure. I’ve never had a Ford column opened up but I expect it’s similar to GM and the others. Something newer will likely be a trade off. Easy to reach controls and ease of service for most of it but not a drop it in install. I’ve been pursuing a hydraboost install over the wheel well like Mad’s so thats gonna need to work with whatever steering I would find.

Scott

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Hey scott the ford column steve posted been around a long time late 80's to 2000's. part's are still availble through ford....Relativty easy to work on especially when removed from vehicle...hardest part is dealing with pivot assist spring during reassambly..

same column automatic or manuel trans. So column shift will have different covers and shift linkage attatched to coumn it's self,..the pivot is near the end of the column so just the wheel and Multifunction switch pivot ,some of the other Manufactures pivot at the base of the column so the whole column pivots ....the steering wheels are 15 inches in diameter{mustang} i think most are the same....

steering intermediate shafts will have to be figured out most likiley a support flange at firewall....

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Hey scott the ford column steve posted been around a long time late 80's to 2000's. part's are still availble through ford
Thank you…I wouldn’t have thought a design would last that long. Maybe a case of ”If it ain’t broke…..” and probably says good things about the design.

Scott