• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

To fix or not fix the front fuel tank in '69 bronco

wigout

I have a very nice uncut '69 bronco that the front fuel tank leaks and doesnt work. I was going to fix this about 3 years ago and was told not to as the tank sits under the drivers seat and isnt safe. I'm now going to put this up for sale (difficult decision) and want to make sure everything is fully functioning and this is the only thing that isnt.

Question - is it safe to have this tank replaced and functioning? The rear tank works great and i have no issue with it. Also, i have the switch on the dash for the aux tank, but what will i need to make this tank work properly?

Thanks!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard firstly..

I don't see why it would hurt to make it work right, no leaks.. But I could be wrong.

Get a professional to do it I suppose :)

OP
OP
W

wigout

Thanks and agree I should get some advice above my pay grade.

mrdrnac

Contributor
Our Bronco Vendors have complete kits available to replace the whole tank and sender, straps & skid plate. It is not a hard job to do and then you don't have to explain to possible buyers why you have a dash switch that doesn't do anything and more importantly a filler pipe and gas cap that go nowhere.

Some people worry about the location outside the frame, so I only fill mine when I am going offroad and I use the aux tank first.

OP
OP
W

wigout

Thanks for the info and will take a look at the vendors for the full kit needed.

T-7ToNewOldB

Unsafe? It’s a bronco. It is under you not immediately behind the seat in the cab like my 53 Chevy pick-up. If you like it fix it. Just fix it well.

CA650

I doubt you’ll have any trouble selling it as is w/the tank not operational
your bronco looks really nice and stock
so some buyers of that one might flinch at a modified front tank while others might not care and still others who don’t want that tank won’t appreciate the investment

maybe leave it alone ?

said by the person (me) that has never left anything alone, ever, even when it already works

OP
OP
W

wigout

Thanks!

I agree and will do some research on it. While I've owned it for last 7 years only having the one tank never mattered to me just didn't want this to hinder the value of it.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
fix it. if the customer deems it unsafe they wont fill it just like you didn't. better than letting the customer deduct price peace meal for everything that doesnt work. you think its safe with a leaky tank or a filler cap going to the ground?

If it was so unsafe there would be pictures all over the net of pictures proving how unsafe it was. Broncos get under hood fires mostly due to either the rubber line at the carb or aftermarket air cleaners and maybe a little faulty wiring thrown in. you can easily find those pictures but side tank fires good luck. Speculation invented by the pinto shock and gas tank causing mass hysteria. its 60 technology and that's it. it can/might happen to someone some day. Maybe its just not your day.

OP
OP
W

wigout

When I first bought it i unfortunately put some fuel in it and it immediately ran out on the ground. I’ll have to investigate it a bit more to see how bad it is but from what I know it needs replaced and not patched.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Question - is it safe to have this tank replaced and functioning?

Your Bronco is 51 years old. In that time, how many times has it been t-boned on the driver side that resulted or would have resulted in an issue with the saddle tank?

Your '69 would have come from the factory with a solid one piece non collapsible steering shaft. How many times in 51 years has it been in a head on collision that caused or would have caused the steering shaft to impale the driver?

There are all kinds of things on any vehicle that COULD be dangerous, but most vehicles never experience the type of collision that would make those dangerous situations happen.

The answer really lies in your own comfort level with such potential issues.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Your Bronco is 51 years old. In that time, how many times has it been t-boned on the driver side that resulted or would have resulted in an issue with the saddle tank?

The answer really lies in your own comfort level with such potential issues.

from the pictures I have seen usually T boned on the side usually flips them over so it doesnt crush the tank anyway. front impact usually bends the frame down at the firewall and takes the column down with it. the worst part is the window frame folding into the drivers space. Want to worry about a side tank impact worry about the red hot catalytic converters extremely close to the gas tank on later models get a leak there then that is something to worry about. Just keep in mind its all safer than a motorcycle, bicycle or even walking. if its your turn to get clobbered it will come. Giving up the joys of adventure so you can survive life in a Volvo just isnt worth it.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do some research on it before you buy parts, all mine needed was the filler neck hose.

OP
OP
W

wigout

Thanks!

When it was leaking it was coming from the bottom of the tank, but it is possible it could have run down and dripped out there. Hard to see with the skid plate on so will have to remove and see what i can find up in there.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I once saw a leaky side tank where the previous owner drill the floor and put screws for the trim right into the tank. Leaks can come from anywhere. My tanked leaked from the fuel line going into the sending unit. No matter how much i tightened the clamp it still leaked pulled the unit and resoldered the hose tube. Lotz of places to leak and if you have a plastic tank they can crack too. Usually its just a hose problem. Or the o-ring behind the sending unit. The plastic anks can crack the sending unit mounting flange ive seen that too.

OP
OP
W

wigout

Thanks

Appreciate it and just took a closer look and might only be crack in seal around sending unit and fill hose. I’ll start there before replacing tank. 👍

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you sell come back and post here, it will find a good home quickly

OP
OP
W

wigout

Final update

Pulled the aux. tank and it had a crack below the hole where the sending unit enters. Ordered a new one from bronco graveyard and installed it in about 1 1/2 hrs with help of someone better than me. All good and working great!👍👍👍