• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Toms Offroad power steering box

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Todd,
correct that is the one i am referring to. apparently a few of the top bronco builders in the US are using this box and one of the steering box rebuilders is also buying loads of these units. i'm tired of my 6 trun box lol.
JP

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Very interesting info. The description that Tom's gives seems like it's a major box manufacturer - perhaps Delphi.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
one of the reasons why i am interested in this box as the description states that the manufacturer has produced steering components for several major car manufacturers including Ford, Chrysler and others. i custom made hoses for my HB and explorer pump so i just want to keep the swap simple ands i am leaning more and more towards this option.

Lee Power Steering also has an exclusive bronco box getting made for them and will be available in the coming months. One of the techs told me it would be in the $1500 range - al lot more than Toms box for the same thing perhaps.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
i was just comparing the pressure/return ports on the Toms and Lees website. seems like the ports or a bit offset -il have to confirm

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i custom made hoses for my HB and explorer pump so i just want to keep the swap simple ands i am leaning more and more towards this option.
Does this mean that you have blank hose ends, just waiting to see what box you'll end up with? Or does this mean that you already custom made full hoses for whatever gearbox you currently have set up?
I'm just wondering because unless the description states that the ports are direct-fit for original Early Bronco boxes, they may not be the same as you have now.
Of course, if you made them with A/N or similar style fittings and only need to source new adapters for different ports, that's probably pretty simple.

Just wondering about your existing hoses.

paul

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Does this mean that you have blank hose ends, just waiting to see what box you'll end up with? Or does this mean that you already custom made full hoses for whatever gearbox you currently have set up?
I'm just wondering because unless the description states that the ports are direct-fit for original Early Bronco boxes, they may not be the same as you have now.
Of course, if you made them with A/N or similar style fittings and only need to source new adapters for different ports, that's probably pretty simple.

Just wondering about your existing hoses.
Paul,

i currently have a stock bronco box with AN fittings to custom hoses. won't take much to get new hoses but for sure - just curious as the boys at Toms said they use stock ford hoses

EB70

Contributor
I'm tempted to look into this. Anyone else have news on these? For a guy who custom builds everything I would like a bolt-on for this Bronco.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
I'm waiting for more info/feedback from CB members. I might get this in the mean time to make my 6 turn box a little quicker lol

Attachments

• 61hFggei7tL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    61hFggei7tL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 20

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
until you smack a rock and that Brody Knobb smashes the small bones in your hand. becareful with that knob.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
was joking but this is so true lolol. i just about broke both my thumbs last month when i was snow wheeling my 79 Bronco. hit a ditch/rocks under a snow embankment in a river crossing and OMG! my thumbs still hurt...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I remember it well. One of the first things the old-timers told us was to never hook our thumbs around the wheel while out in the boonies. What with all the horror stories, we took the lessons to heart for sure.
We thought most of that need would go away however, with the advent of power steering. But no way!
Still a lesson well learned, even with the sore thumbs to help the memory.
Just glad they ain't broke!

Paul

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
yup. i already knew this just didn't put it into practice. i think (hope) il be better prepared next time out.

cheers

tomsoffroad76

Sponsor/Vendor
TOMS OFFROAD
Just seeing this post, so figured we'd chime in here. Bias of course, but these are excellent quality boxes. Mounts directly to the factory frame mounts. Factory correct input and output splines. You can select if you want to run factory hoses, o-ring hoses or AN hoses. Tight but not too tight 3.75 turn radius. Beefed up internals over original. Only complaints ever have been people running small tires feel like it is too responsive at times. We are working on an alternate pump setup that will alleviate this concern for those particular customers. The boxes were designed to all of our specifications, so we built them exactly as we wanted them to be. Several of the premier early Bronco builders use this box exclusively. Altogether, this is one of our favorite TOMS OFFROAD exclusive products for sure.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Just seeing this post, so figured we'd chime in here. Bias of course, but these are excellent quality boxes. Mounts directly to the factory frame mounts. Factory correct input and output splines. You can select if you want to run factory hoses, o-ring hoses or AN hoses. Tight but not too tight 3.75 turn radius. Beefed up internals over original. Only complaints ever have been people running small tires feel like it is too responsive at times. We are working on an alternate pump setup that will alleviate this concern for those particular customers. The boxes were designed to all of our specifications, so we built them exactly as we wanted them to be. Several of the premier early Bronco builders use this box exclusively. Altogether, this is one of our favorite TOMS OFFROAD exclusive products for sure.
Are the ports HP & LP in the exact same location as the OE Bronco PS box? I have custom hoses that i made and have ZERO give to them. Just wondering if i have to remake the hoses or not. No big deal if i have to just being cheap lol

tomsoffroad76

Sponsor/Vendor
TOMS OFFROAD
Are the ports HP & LP in the exact same location as the OE Bronco PS box? I have custom hoses that i made and have ZERO give to them. Just wondering if i have to remake the hoses or not. No big deal if i have to just being cheap lol
They are close but probably enough different that you'll need to modify your hoses if your tolerances are as tight as you say. The high pressure fitting is 1/4" closer to the firewall than factory. The low pressure fitting is 1/2" closer to the firewall than factory.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
They are close but probably enough different that you'll need to modify your hoses if your tolerances are as tight as you say. The high pressure fitting is 1/4" closer to the firewall than factory. The low pressure fitting is 1/2" closer to the firewall than factory.
damn! not what i want to hear but not the end of the world and certainly not a deal breaker. thanks

any known issues- feedback pros/cons from your customers?