• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Too much oil?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I plan to change the fuel pump but I'm wondering if I'm ok with replacing it with an original pump that has 8 psi? The aftermarket Holley street demon carb I currently have says to run 5-6 psi. Is it ok to run that OEM pump with that Holley carb?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe_y...ature=youtu.be

If you use a pump with too much pressure, you're just asking for trouble.
The needle valves won't be able to handle the pressure. The engine could run rich and flood out.
There's nothing to be gained from higher fuel pressure.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I wish I kept my notes on this. They went with the truck when I sold it. But at one time I took a 5.0 mustang engine with the dipstick in the block and had the pan off. I measured from the oil pan rail to the full mark. This is a total guess today but I think it was about 3" below the oil pan rail. I measured another engine (Explorer?) and it was about half an inch different, but not that far off.

I don't have any small blocks apart right now, but if someone does could you put together enough of the dipstick to make the measurement? That will get the height established.

Next is to know what the level is in the pan. About 6' of 1/4" clear tubing will do the trick. Stick one end down the dipstick until it is deep into the pan. drape a loop down below the pan and back up again. SUCK!. Pretty much you are trying to start a siphon. pull oil up the tube, down through the dip and start back up the free side. Keep the other free end up in the engine room. Oil (like water) will seek it's own level. It is thick and small diameter tubing so it will be slow. As long as you don't get any air bubbles in it the level at the end of the tubing will be the same as what is in the pan.

For what it is worth, this is how I change oil on my boat. No drain, so I siphon it out the dipstick. In the summer (with a little larger tubing) it takes several hours to pull 9 quarts. In the winter it has taken 24 hours. But that is 9 quarts through 12' of tubing. I have also done this to drain down overfilled automatic transmissions. That is only pulling a quart of warm ATF so it is faster. Yes, oil will siphon, it is just slow.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Again ; this is not Rocket Science. You don't have the original dip stick tube or original dipstick so the best way to find/ set your oil level is remove the dip stick , drain ALL the oil , add 5 quarts, reinstall dipstick , then see where the oil level is on the dipstick and then mark it. This will be your " full" level mark for the future .

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
Again ; this is not Rocket Science. You don't have the original dip stick tube or original dipstick so the best way to find/ set your oil level is remove the dip stick , drain ALL the oil , add 5 quarts, reinstall dipstick , then see where the oil level is on the dipstick and then mark it. This will be your " full" level mark for the future .

Ok I do that then the truck runs like crap with all the signs it’s over filled. Now what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see nothing here about replacing the oil filter. Did you do this when you changed the oil of did you just drain and refill the pan? If you did, this may be the reason for the overfilled pan.

After all that you have been through with this, I would drain the oil and replace the filter (Motorcraft FL-1A, Fram PH-8A, Wix 51515, NAPA Gold FIL 1515, ect.), then pull the pan to clean it and install the correct dipstick tube and dipstick (see below). Reinstall the pan and add 5 quarts of your oil choice, start it, let it warm up. Shut it down, wait a minute, check the oil, and verify no leaks at the filter and drain plug. Add whatever is needed to bring to full on the dipstick then drive it.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/dipstick-tube-screw-in-289-302-new-aftermarket

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/dipstick-screw-in-style-289-or-302

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Bronco and Ford pickup oil pans take - 6 quarts - with an oil filter change.
I'd fix your carb and ignition issues first then move on to the funky dip stick.

Last edited:

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I bought the dip stick and tube from WH,here's some measurement to compare to the one you have .Form the one pic it looks like your dip stick is longer than the one I have. I measured from where it sits on the tube.

Attachments

• DSCN1656.jpg
    DSCN1656.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1664.jpg
    DSCN1664.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN1663.jpg
    DSCN1663.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN1662.jpg
    DSCN1662.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN1660.jpg
    DSCN1660.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN1659.jpg
    DSCN1659.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN1658.jpg
    DSCN1658.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN1657.jpg
    DSCN1657.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN1665.jpg
    DSCN1665.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 13

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Here's the overall measurement of the dip stick.

Attachments

• DSCN1666.jpg
    DSCN1666.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN1667.jpg
    DSCN1667.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN1668.jpg
    DSCN1668.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
I see nothing here about replacing the oil filter. Did you do this when you changed the oil of did you just drain and refill the pan? If you did, this may be the reason for the overfilled pan.

After all that you have been through with this, I would drain the oil and replace the filter (Motorcraft FL-1A, Fram PH-8A, Wix 51515, NAPA Gold FIL 1515, ect.), then pull the pan to clean it and install the correct dipstick tube and dipstick (see below). Reinstall the pan and add 5 quarts of your oil choice, start it, let it warm up. Shut it down, wait a minute, check the oil, and verify no leaks at the filter and drain plug. Add whatever is needed to bring to full on the dipstick then drive it.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/dipstick-tube-screw-in-289-302-new-aftermarket

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/dipstick-screw-in-style-289-or-302

Yes I replaced the oil and filter too with a Wix 51515