• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tooling up-need recommendation for quiet air compressor, multimeter, and probes

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hey folks,

I need an air compressor that will be strong enough to power an impact wrench to remove u bolts, shackle bolts, and maybe even radius arm caps. I would love it to be quiet too. I don't need a large capacity- I just need to do this once and not all day.

I searched and found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/California-Ai...57895265&sr=8-2&keywords=quiet+air+compressor

Has anyone ever used or heard of it?

I also strangely can't find my trusty 20+ year old multi meter. I see many on Amazon ranging from 16-$80. Does anyone have any thoughts on these? I also can use some good probes. The ones that came with my multi meter were ok but I would ideally like some wire piercing ones that wont damage the wires or insulation, if this is even possible.

Thanks again!

Brett

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most air compressors will provide dB ratings, so find one that's in your budget and go for it. If you don't hardly use any air, then it's just a matter of working around the pace of the air compressor. Tools like die-grinders, D/A sanders, air drills, etc will consume a lot of air very quickly, so small scfm compressors don't work well in those application.

I can use a lot of air at times, so I run a larger 80-gallon compressor with low-rpm pump since it's in the shop with me, but you still know when it's running. Still much better than most of the smaller oil-free pumps I've run from Sears/Home Depot/Lowes, but not whisper quiet. I've thought about adding another 80 or 120-gallon tank to increase the capacity of the system and the run time on the pump, but reduce the number of start/stops, but haven't gotten around to it.

Fluke multi-meters are spendy, but good quality and should last a lifetime. I use their 88V model and have been very happy with it.

weidjd

Low rpm cast only way to go. I started with a 40 gallon upright and would do everything pretty well except blasting/spraying. 80gal min for that imo.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Noise should NOT be your deciding factor, and that one looks pretty cheaply made. It's also smaller than you might think - they've carefully photochopped out the background so there's not much perspective, but look at the specs & dimensions: 2CFM@90psi & 5gal. That's nothing. An impact that will do the jobs you're describing will empty that tank in a few seconds - you'll spend more time waiting for the tank to refill than it would take to wrench everything off by hand.

If you're going to use air tools, you need a good compressor, and that ISN'T one. If you can't afford a good compressor, BUY ELECTRIC TOOLS. Cordless impacts have come a long way to the point that they're nearly as strong as pneumatics, QUIETER, heavier, bulkier, and of course require several batteries & chargers for continuous use.

But corded 110VAC impacts exist, and are affordable. That might be the best solution for you.

If you do choose pneumatic, I highly recommend the AirCat NitroCat as among the strongest, lightest, longest-lasting, & quietest 1/2" impacts in any price range. I actually tested mine against a new IR Titanium, and the IR owner was embarassed that he had spent so much on a tool that couldn't do the jobs mine could.

This is far from the best DMM, but for the price, it's hard to beat its features & usability:

The only pierce probes worth buying are the most-expensive type: Pomona, or the copies they make for other brands (which are usually substantially more-expensive).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K1FXXS/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JBVBWEW/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZROJYM/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZROSHA/

Last edited:

Amac70

ME
if you can afford a rotary air compressor for you garage for one project you probably aren't going to be doing that project. the California air stuff actually has a good reputation. another good quite and small one is the makita mak 2400. these are not big compressor but should do what you require, they will not paint a car or run a die grinder. but should run an impact like the air cat mentioned above (only requires 4.5 cfm under load)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I doubt that compressor will handle the job you want to do. Definetly need a larger tank Id say at the very least a 20 gal tank even that may not do it. 30 gal or larger would be better. With the larger tank you should be able to do the work and not have it run all day. With a smaller tank you'll be all day trying to get the work done and it will run all day. Wouldnt worry about the noise they make while some are quieter than others you dont seem to be in need of one that will see a lot of useage so run time is minimal.
As for multimeters unless your doing serious electronic work the cheap ones are fine. Most of the time you can get a cheap one at your local parts store under $20. As for probes any piercing one will do damage no getting aroud it. Some multimeters come with piercing probes others come with clip type. You can always buy a extra set in the type you want or some of the higher dollar setups come with both types

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
this is the multi meter i use for work. its taken 5 years of abuse in a wet/humid environment full of corrosive chemicals. hangs out in my tool bag which gets banged against well everything. i liked it so much i bought a second one for home.

http://www.amazon.com/IDEAL-61-744-...=UTF8&qid=1457926700&sr=1-4&keywords=ideal+61

man if all you want is air power for an impact get an electric one:
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Ele...sr=8-2&keywords=milwaukee+cordless+impact+gun

1100#ft is no joke and 110v air compressors are a big fat joke. i have had several and they will not drive an impact to its full potential.

OP
OP
B

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hi thanks for the advice! Roger on the electric impact. My neighbor is an Audi tech and he said they work well and has one I can borrow.

Good news-I found my trusty radio shack multi-meter. I have had it since the mid 80's when I used it for RC Cars.

So....the only think I really need is a good set of test leads with banana plugs. I have steel probes which are ok for just touching things, but I would like wire piercing probes and also alligator clips with banana plugs on the other end. Does anyone have any ideas which are good ones to buy? Preferably from Amazon for convenience.

I found a set that has 'plunger mini hooks' but I have no idea what those are.

if you could point me to a good set of test leads I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Brett

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
the rotary compressors are quiet, but lots of problems with the computers and electronic stuff,
we used to have several and have gone back to large reciprocating compressors, they are cheaper, more reliable and far far easier to work on,

the ones with a cabinet around it has everything crammed in so tight you cant work on it.

another thing to consider is getting two compressors,
5 HP is all youre gonna find on 120V and they will need a dedicated 20 amp outlet,

you use one for most everything and if youre running a sander or die grinder, you fire up the other one.

I got a 5 HP one at homo depot 17 years ago, a used one, 1/2 price, still runs fine.