• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tools you didn't know you needed & can't live without?

Jaybr

Contributor
This weekend I had to pull the intake manifold (again) and dealing with all of the spring clamps on the hoses popped my knuckles several times. After this, I did a search and found out they actually make pliers specifically to deal with these spring clamps; I now own a set of Knipex hose clamp pliers. This got me thinking, what other tools are out there I don't know I need yet?

Are there tools you would recommend everyone working on a bronco should have in their toolbox or garage?

There are probably a few different categories:
Must Have - things like axle nut sockets
Time Savers - got a blast cabinet for Christmas and it's a game changer
Anti-Frustration - like the hose clamp pliers. You can get the job done with regular pliers but these make it so much easier (and pain free)

So lets here it!

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
4 post hoist with bridge jacks. Done with crawling on the ground and laying on my back to work on vehicles. No more bending over when I can always adjust it to the perfect height for working.

Had my skid steer, ATV, walk behind weed Wacker, lawnmower and pretty much everything small that needs some maintenance along with every type of vehicle I own. Changing oil or anything else on everything is now a piece of cake. Plus I always have a place for tools and parts.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
The older I get and the worse my eyes get, I've found that a good LED rechargeable flashlight with a magnetic base is a must have.
I'm with you on this one, bought 2 more of them last week.
I'm meeting with a cataract surgeon this week though ;)

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Fumoto oil drain valves, Dewalt rechargable grease gun for the win though, no more hand cramps when using a tube at a time or more on farm equipment.
Rechargable grease gun has been on my list for a while, along with an electronic torque wrench

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Fumoto oil drain valves, Dewalt rechargable grease gun for the win though, no more hand cramps when using a tube at a time or more on farm equipment.
Those are really a necessity with things like a cultivator. 12 rows with 7or 8 zerks per row would give you carpal tunnel in a hurry!

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Those are really a necessity with things like a cultivator. 12 rows with 7or 8 zerks per row would give you carpal tunnel in a hurry!
I'm sure! I moved to the city a couple years ago and no longer have a tractor and implements, still want the grease gun though.

Torkman66

Contributor
All the specialty tools make work so much easier. I use my press for so many things. Can’t see how I would do a full restoration without it.
Also, my large cabinet sand blaster. I can make old parts look new in no time.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Home made distributor lock down bolt wrench. Some say these do not really work that well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RL9NKK/?tag=classicbroncos-20

I built my own Milwaukie pack out (on a dolly) stacker tool box. I do NOT have to unstack the boxes to get into them, I got the stackable drawer boxes. I also doubled the dolly wheels for more stability.

Shop around to get better pricing, I got a buddy to get them at vendor pricing.
2 wheel cart 48-22-8415 https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Storage-Solutions/PACKOUT
3 drawer 48-22-8443
2 drawer 48-22- 8442
So when the Bronco can not come in the garage, I can easily take the tools to it. Pis in a bit.

Grab and go tool bag. Atlas 46 is $$, but tough. https://www.atlas46.com/products.ht..._wcB#!/Dual-Zip-Tool-Roll-Pouch-XL/p/84788352

There are a lot of versions out there. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...4SY3cAHT13phIk-O_SsQS6JcSbxVQK6EaAoJ3EALw_wcB

Attachments

• dizzy wrench.JPG
    dizzy wrench.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 18

JSBX

Contributor
Power Probe 3 for trouble shooting electrical problems. Not only is it a test light but a voltmeter also. It is a lot easier when you can add power or ground to a circuit that you are testing with just a push of a button while you have the probe on the circuit. Plus, it has an audible alarm for when you are working under the dash and can't look at the meter.

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
The greatest tool I own is the brain ontop of my shoulders.

Second to that might be the cherry picker/ engine hoist. I have used this for LOADS of projects that I never would have imagined.

L.R.