• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trail Cover

OP
OP
Mmflpa

Mmflpa

Loc.
Philadelphia, PA
For those of you not on facebook, I am going to copy and paste the entire thread with updates here:

**** 7/26/17- new update at bottom****
****7/14/17 - new update at bottom ***
***see update at bottom***
Trail Covers--- to give cliff notes of the other post, there seems to be a need for tight fitting, high quality trail covers. Someone has been kind enough to offer to loan me his to bring somewhere to use as a pattern. (His is one of the ones made by the former owner of Bronco Design that people seem to like the most). I am going to bring it to one of my friends who does marine upholstery and see what type of pricing he can get, and possibly get a group buy started. That being said, I wanted to see how many people would be interested, and see if anyone has any suggestions..
For those of you unfamiliar with trail covers, here is a picture of Allen Fahey's. What's great about them is that they fold up smaller than regular covers, you can tow with them, and they seem to be more effective at keeping out water.
UPDATE 6/28/2017- So apparently the website that was down is back up now. However, there are some concerns that people have or things they would like to address/improve on the covers. I have a list of all of the people's suggestions from this thread, private messages, and I even went through the original Bronco Design thread on Classic Broncos from 2011. My plan is to meet with my local person (experience on both vehicles and boats), go over fabrics and everything else, get pricing, and then come back to you guys. If it is simply a matter of a different fabric, I am going to reach out to Wade and see if its easy for him to just switch out fabric, since he has already been doing this. If there are other changes, or if he does not want to change anything, then I will go ahead with a group buy. I have a meeting scheduled next Friday, so please keep the comments and suggestions coming, and I will add them to my list.
UPDATE 7/14/17- Pretty sure I decided which shop I am going to use. Right now we are trying to work on pricing for various fabrics. (Choosing a specialty fabric will be an option, based on the new patterns being made.) Slant back is looking like it will be an option as long as I can get someone with that type of cage to go in for measurements. These will be made in the USA, specifically the great state of New Jersey, home of Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen and a lot of other greatness.
I also talked to Wade, who is the person selling the tops on eBay. Wade is unable to make new tops, but he does have a surplus of some that will work for some people, depending on what you're looking for.
The goal is to have some numbers next week, and hopefully provide the community with options for everyone.
Update 7/26/17-
I found out who I am going to use for the tops. As I mentioned in the last update, they will be made in the USA, specifically New Jersey. In order to give everyone a set price, he has to figure out how much time it is going to take to make one, using mine as the Guinea pig. I am not going to be able to get my Bronco to him for a few weeks.
That being said, if you want a cover right away, Wade, the man selling them on eBay, has a surplus of nylon tops available immediately for $195. (This is the only trail cover I do not have for comparison, so I cannot comment on them.)
The way the new tops will work is this: once they get my top made, he will know how much labor is involved. The fabric I am using will be the base price. It is a fabric similar to sunbrella, and has a 5 year fabric warranty. He can make tops in whatever fabric you want, based on the pattern he makes for mine, and price it based on the fabric you choose.
I brought with me a list of requests from everyone, and took them all into consideration. The new tops will be longer at the windshield area, with some reinforcement. They will also be longer at the door area. In addition to this, the straps at the bottom will be different colors, so that the tops can be thrown on quickly in the right direction. In regards to fabric, I went with "water resistant" as the base fabric, because it's less expensive, can be kept on for longer periods of time (breathable), and folds up smaller- aka those of you with aftermarket seats that have pockets in the back can fit these in there. Because I went with water resistant as the base, and because water tends to leak at seam areas even in soft tops, there will be no seams on the top of the base covers. (It was very hard to find a fabric made big enough to do this, so if you are going with other fabrics, I cannot guarantee the same placement of seams.)
I know that the base model of the new and improved covers will be around $100 more than the ones on eBay, depending on how many people order at a time. The goal is to have the first batch ready in September. (I will be at the MEB street cruise Sept 30 and can deliver there).

Lawndart

Loc.
I'm not on Facebook.
But I would participate in a group buy or outright, but it must be a slant-back.

OP
OP
Mmflpa

Mmflpa

Loc.
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not on Facebook.
But I would participate in a group buy or outright, but it must be a slant-back.

Slantbacks will be available once someone in the area is able to leave a vehicle over there for a fitting. I think most people probably want to wait until the summer is over..

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
How are you planning to deal with and without external spare tire carrier?

Major Tom

Contributor
this is what mine looks like with the spare mounted inside the tailgate

Attachments

• 66 2.jpg
    66 2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 504

Lawndart

Loc.
this is what mine looks like with the spare mounted inside the tailgate

attachment.php

That is what I am looking for!

OP
OP
Mmflpa

Mmflpa

Loc.
Philadelphia, PA
Update: My bronco is in the shop getting the pattern made as we speak. Still looking for someone with a 4 point cage to bring their truck to the shop in South Jersey to have the patterns made for the slant back top

RPM289

I was looking at pics on page 1 and was wondering how it ties down for those using it as a tow cover also. Very interested in one once I get my 70 back to AL :) Will it work with my cage and windshield set up mine is a glass tub stock windshield frame

Bronco44.jpg

Bronco48.jpg

ransil

Bronco Guru
I was looking at pics on page 1 and was wondering how it ties down for those using it as a tow cover also. Very interested in one once I get my 70 back to AL :) Will it work with my cage and windshield set up mine is a glass tub stock windshield frame

View attachment 430337

View attachment 430338
should work for your Bronco, it ties down in the rear corners to the bumpers and on the side front & back of the door area around the radius arm and leaf spring.

RPM289

should work for your Bronco, it ties down in the rear corners to the bumpers and on the side front & back of the door area around the radius arm and leaf spring.
Cool love it! Ok to tow with it installed?

Sent from my LGUS215 using Tapatalk