• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission install kicking my butt

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
UPDATE>>> What I found was the clutch alignment tool had a lot of play in the crank, so I wrapped the end with tape until it was a snug fit. Then I realigned the clutch. It eventually slid in. It also helped that I divorced the trans and tcase. Luckily after messing that up, I had a local Bronco buddy that had a spare 3 speed and I used that. The trans jack cradle I borrowed was useless. I made one with some blocks of wood that way way more useful. <<< What am I missing? Pulled the 3 speed manual and tcase together to put in a new flywheel. The flywheel is the only thing that is new. Got the flywheel and clutch installed, used a clutch alignment tool. I am using a transmission jack. The bellhousing is attached to the transmission so the throwout bearing is in place. I bought some longer bolts for the bellhousing to engine and have them all started. It should be aligned or pretty close. I think I have the splines in the clutch, but I still have 1" to go and it won't go. What am I missing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smedley

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
The bracket connects to the block and bell housing. They are to far apart to connect. I trying to push on it manually but not much leverage.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Have you tried putting it in gear and turning the output shaft to try to get the input shaft to move a bit. Maybe its out of alignment just enough to stop it from going in. Just a thought, Good luck with it. Its maddening to get that close and not go in for sure!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Wiggle the tranny around, but never try to pull it together with the long bolts. If that's what it takes, something is either misaligned, or the wrong size. If you do get it to go, it probably won't last long.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did your jack up the front of the engine a little bit, to help it Aline better

stevenson44

I once reassembled my drivetrain with 2 pilot bearings...perhaps that is your 1” gap?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Redo the clutch. Although you used the tool you probably allowed the disk to drop as low as the tool allows. It is almost lined up. When you put the disk up again wiggle the tool up and down. You see it has a little play. The tools are not as precise as the transmission input shaft. Use the tool, pick up on the end of the tool and center the disk in the window of play that it allows. Eyeball/feel is fine for this. You are just centering the clutch on the sloppy tolerances of the tool.

I did not learn that one on the first clutch I did, nor the second. But once I learned that the supplied tool really isn't that good and a few moments of thought in how to use the tool and clutches go right together now.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I use a couple long bolts with the heads cut off as guides.then slide it forward. I've had to lay on my back and use my legs to jiggle the trannt so it slides all the way in. Then get a few bolts in it and then replace my guide bolts.

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
I have a Input Shaft from a 3 speed Top Loader that I use for alignment. Always works perfect for me. I can ship it to you but it would take a few days from the East Coast. Maybe someone local to you would have one.

Did you install a new pilot bearing? If so, Did you test fit it on the Input Shaft first?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Incorrect pilot bearing, another good one. I had that once but caught it before I installed the bearing into the crank.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have a Input Shaft from a 3 speed Top Loader that I use for alignment. Always works perfect for me. I can ship it to you but it would take a few days from the East Coast. Maybe someone local to you would have one.

Did you install a new pilot bearing? If so, Did you test fit it on the Input Shaft first?

Good points!
An old input shaft is way more accurate than one of the plastic alignment tools.
Also, use a veneer caliper to verify the pilot bushing/bearing is correct.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All good suggestions Smedley. Each one has caught someone a time or three.
But the misalignment of the clutch plate is way more common than you might think. As they said, the tools are only just barely enough, and if you have one of the cheap wood ones, they're even worse! By far the most accurate are legit input shafts.

And whenever a new pilot bearing is installed you need to slip it over the pilot stub of the trans shaft before installing it in the crank. If it's the previously existing pilot bearing, then unless something got lodged inside you should be good there.

If the bellhousing is installed then the clutch can be released. You just need to connect the linkage. I've never tried installing the bellhousing with the trans, and at this point it might be worth the extra time taken to step back, remove the bell from the trans and install it on the engine first.
For one thing, that's less weight you have to muscle around. But for the main point it makes it easier to release the clutch to let the parts self-align.

That's what I'd do at this point even though you feel like you're 90% of the way there.
You might spend twice as much time fiddling with it as is, as you would removing it, separating the bellhousing and then starting over with the trans.

At the very least though, pull it all back and do what was suggested and try to re-align the clutch bits. You can't really align them visually if the trans is in the way though, and pulling it back just slightly is usually a non-starter due to body clearance. So at that point (transmission dropped) you might as well put the bell housing on the engine first.

Good luck.

Paul

71 CA Bronco

X2 what Paul others have said.

1. Split the bell housing and trans.
  2. Install Bell housing first.
  3. Align clutch and throw out bearing with tool or shaft (even better)
  4. Use long bolts to start the trans bellhousing connection.
  5. Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle while someone engages the clutch.

If the pilot bearing is right then this is a sure fire way to get it in. At least its always worked for me.

OP
OP
Smedley

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Thanks for all of the input. I'll get back at it later today. I did use a clutch alignment tool, a black plastic one that fit really snug. I started with the bellhousing attached to the block, but that was not going well, which is why I attached it to the trans. I think I will drop the whole thing and start over. What a PIA.

Will

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Like others mentioned...attach the bell housing to the engine. And again like others have mentioned...Once you have the input shaft in a good ways have a buddy push the clutch in. If I don't have a helper I just use a piece of wood or pipe wedged between the pedal and bump up of the floor below the driver seat. Wiggle around and it will go right in. You will be amazed how easy it is. Good luck!

prouddadofthree

Loc.
Piney Flats, TN
Have you tried putting it in gear and turning the output shaft to try to get the input shaft to move a bit. Maybe its out of alignment just enough to stop it from going in. Just a thought, Good luck with it. Its maddening to get that close and not go in for sure!

That's what she said.....;D

Sorry couldn't help it.