• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TrickFlow Upper 351 Intake: Stock Hood

Rebel1977

I am helping a friend with a frame off on a 77 Bronco. The guy doing the body work dropped the 351 in the frame and believes that there is no way this intake will clear the hood even with a 2" body lift. We have the trick flow lower and upper intake on this. The body guy said he saw somewhere it wouldn't fit even with a 3" body lift and a hood scoop of some sort.

Any guidance or facts here would be great. My friend has a lot tied up in this restore and engine and just wants the facts or a legitimate work around for this.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't know about the Trick flow intake. Been way too long since I researched that. I recall there were even a couple different versions of the Trick flow intake.

The won't fit even with a 3" body lift is the 351W truck intake. By chance does Trick flow make a truck intake?

Best way to really know is to test fit the parts. Removes all doubt and internet guessing.

Not too many people running Trick Flow intakes here. I am sure a few, but most go after the GT40/lightening intakes. That is the more standard 351 EFI intake on Broncos.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm starting to piece together the parts for efi on the next 351w swap. From what I've seen it starts with the lightning/gt40 lower intake to make it fit. I planned on going exploder upper but if there's an aftermarket upper that will fit I'd be interested.

o2bnmud

I did an Edelbrock upper and lower on my 351W about 15yrs ago, and it clears the stock hood with a 2 inch body lift. Even a lightning setup will require a 2 inch body lift, I have a 93 lightning 351W sitting in one my project broncs right now.

BanditBronco

I just checked hood clearance on my 351w with trick flow intake last night. I have a 1 inch body lift. It definitely will not fit with a stock hood. I am having to modify a few little things to fit but I have a high country fiberglass hood.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
351w Stock Ford Truck Intake - 3" Body Lift - Still Too Tall for stock hood.

GT-40 351W - Lightning / Explorer - 2" Body lift needed with stock hood. 1" BL is not enough.

351w Ford Truck Lower / BC Adaptor / GT-Upper - May still need 1" BL to clear stock hood.

GT-40 351W - Lightning / 95 Mustang Cobra Upper - Clears stock hood with 1" Body Lift.

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
I'm running a trickflow but on a 302 on a 1" bodylift....unfortunately don't know about the 351, but here's a pic for reference if you know the diff between the 302 and the 351...

Attachments

• 20180903_202837.jpg
    20180903_202837.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 42

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As I recall trick flow fell off my list as it would not clear stock hood with 2"BL.