• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tried the TRAIL EDITION GEAR BANGER?

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
It works great on my NP435. I have mine set up for a tight pattern with short throws.

Attachments

• PaintedGearBanger.jpg
    PaintedGearBanger.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 301

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How does the shifting actually feel now?
Is it kind of "normal" feeling, for the truck transmission that it is? Or is it actually stiff and hard to shift?

Reason I ask is that, while the Gear Banger definitely is an improvement over the stock shift lever geometry. it does not necessarily fix an internal problem.

Paul

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
How does the shifting actually feel now?
Is it kind of "normal" feeling, for the truck transmission that it is? Or is it actually stiff and hard to shift?

Reason I ask is that, while the Gear Banger definitely is an improvement over the stock shift lever geometry. it does not necessarily fix an internal problem.

Paul

Welllll…. Right now it's a little tough to maneuver through the gears..... but it is 25*;D

During the summer (and after it warms up) it works just fine. I suppose it might be a little clunkier than a late model, I don't know, don't have one.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it's tough to maneuver, but not "stiff" or "rough" feeling, then the Gear Banger is probably right up your alley. Quickens the shifts and makes them more direct even given all of it's inherent slop if you will.

I was just concerned that your trans might be "tight" where you can literally feel resistance even between gears. Should at least be free of oddly rough transitions.
The good news is that even in those cases, the GB gives you more leverage against that too.
But on a good trans, it's a GREAT addition. It's actually fun to row through the gears of an old-school truck trans much quicker and with a more direct feel.

Paul

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I guess 'tight' wasn't the correct word. I meant that the pattern was tight as in close together. It is a lot of fun rowing through the gears.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No prob Jim. My original questions were directed at la hi anyway!;);D I should have been more specific.
Glad yours is working out for you.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
LOL, yeah that damn winter sheet..

Welllll…. Right now it's a little tough to maneuver through the gears..... but it is 25*;D

During the summer (and after it warms up) it works just fine. I suppose it might be a little clunkier than a late model, I don't know, don't have one.

OP
OP
la hi

la hi

If it's tough to maneuver, but not "stiff" or "rough" feeling, then the Gear Banger is probably right up your alley. Quickens the shifts and makes them more direct even given all of it's inherent slop if you will.

I was just concerned that your trans might be "tight" where you can literally feel resistance even between gears. Should at least be free of oddly rough transitions.
The good news is that even in those cases, the GB gives you more leverage against that too.
But on a good trans, it's a GREAT addition. It's actually fun to row through the gears of an old-school truck trans much quicker and with a more direct feel.

Paul

Thanks Paul, the 435 is not sticking between shifts. The problem lies with the throw and maneuvering the shifter to get in to the right position.
larry

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good deal Larry. Should help quite a bit. I'm surprised others have not chimed in as well, as there are quite a few here using them I think.

Jim, if yours is harder to shift in the winter, it might be time for a lube-rotation.;D
Did you do the last one, and know what's in there now? If not, then it's time no matter what.
If it's either very old oil, or very thick, you can use thinner gear lubes and improve your shifting all year round. Many run 90w, and a few even run thicker up to 140w gear lube. And that's just too thick for most of us. Heck, those old 435's will run on ATF if you want to!

I like the thinner 75w/90 synthetics myself. Should do your trans good if that's not what's in there now.
If it's old enough too, just any new lube oil can make a difference in how they feel and shift.

Paul

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Good deal Larry. Should help quite a bit. I'm surprised others have not chimed in as well, as there are quite a few here using them I think.

Jim, if yours is harder to shift in the winter, it might be time for a lube-rotation.;D
Did you do the last one, and know what's in there now? If not, then it's time no matter what.
If it's either very old oil, or very thick, you can use thinner gear lubes and improve your shifting all year round. Many run 90w, and a few even run thicker up to 140w gear lube. And that's just too thick for most of us. Heck, those old 435's will run on ATF if you want to!

I like the thinner 75w/90 synthetics myself. Should do your trans good if that's not what's in there now.
If it's old enough too, just any new lube oil can make a difference in how they feel and shift.

Paul

I am running the synthetic, It's just damn cold here now, 8* overnight. Oil has about 1500 miles on it now.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Perfect. You're set as well as can be then.
Can't tell you how many times we've run across transmissions with their original goop in them.
Less and less these days of course, as so many are getting rebuilt and such. But it used to be kind of rare to run into someone that changed their gear lube with any kind of regularity.
I guess it's harder to think along those lines though, with a vehicle that's hardly ever driven and just hangs out. As many trucks were.

Paul

Jeff10

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has as opinion about using the Gear Banger for an off-road rig versus a street vehicle. I'm thinking about order it for a nice trail rig... that will probably spend a good deal of time on the road.

Thanks,

Jeff

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has as opinion about using the Gear Banger for an off-road rig versus a street vehicle. I'm thinking about order it for a nice trail rig... that will probably spend a good deal of time on the road.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, I seem to recall seeing a couple here and there with no issues...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It was originally designed and used on an exclusively off-road rig. So I'd have to say yes, it's fine.
You need good clean short shifts just as much off the road as on frankly.
I just don't see any downside, as long as the transmission itself is still in decent shape.

Paul

broncoP

Contributor
I installed one last winter in my truck, did not like the way it shifted. Embarrassing when a Prius beats me off the line because I couldn't shift fast enough or grind between shifts.. The gear banger is quite an improvement over the long throws with stock shifter but still a truck tranny. It doesn't shift like a sports car but much better than it was. I was going to get a 5spd but don't drive it enough to justify and don't mind it now. I like it in 4th on the hwy as it's still useable, put your foot down and it goes being 1:1 od
Haven't driven it since September but weather finally getting better so may take it out on wknd to refresh my memory

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I’ll chime in - just have about 1000 miles on mine now and it made a ton of difference...huge improvement. You won’t regret this modification.