• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trouble starting after changing fuel pump

Bubbaluv

Loc.
Agoura Hills, CA
So I was wiring up a new CB this morning and after buttoning it all up, i went to test it out and noticed that after turning the ignition, there was puddle of gas right under the manual fuel pump. Closer look at it was leaking like crazy. Ran down pep boys and grabed a replacement and threw it it. It was hell getting it to seat right so I think I get it in right.

After hooking it all back up, now it wont start. I know its getting gas as I also have a electric pump so turning the ignition I have good flow. It turns over, and at one point it spuddered on its own for about 15 seconds before dying. Any ideas where I should be looking?

Also, the PO put in the electiric pump, which routes to the mechanical pump. Is this the correct way to run the electircal pump?

Early appologies for the dump questions and thanks for any suggestions.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
If you got and electric pump there should be a plate where the manual one was covering up the mounting port....Never seen/heard of one running off both fuel pumps before..

Now that I thought about it we did have a wrecker once that had an aux tank on it that if you ran the main tank out you had to boost the aux tank with an elect.pump...

I don't know,but I would just use the manual and unhook the electric...

Last edited:

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
x2.... You run a manual fuel pump , or you run an electric fuel pump, but not both. If you know the electric pump is working, I would go to the parts store, get the block off for the manual pump. Remove the manual pump and replace with the block off plate. Run your fuel line from the electric pump directly to the carb. Check to make sure the pump is primed and is actually pumping. I would also make sure any inline filters are clear and clean. Make sure filters are also installed in the right direction.

Scott

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
.....Or the electric....like Scott said and block off the manual;)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Welcome to CB and to the aftereffects from a previous owner. I've seen electric pumps added to mechanical systems but it can't work properly. Pick one or the other. The Mechanical is easier to make work right.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
The only posse ble reason for even trying to run both electric and mechanical pumps togeather..would be....a plugged filter somewhere! I bought a van and the pos tried to run it like that. I found a hidden filter plugged solid...after changing electric pumps 3_4 times....follow the fuel line from the tank.....people can be sneaky!! R stupid....either way you only need one pump

OP
OP
Bubbaluv

Bubbaluv

Loc.
Agoura Hills, CA
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did check the oil and it was clean so i dont think it pushed fuel into the crank but i do think the electric pump is what caused the mechanical to go tits up. My plan at this point is to keep the mech and bypass the electric but keep it in place so in a emergancy I can switch over to limp home.

I checked to make sure I have spark and and that looks good but I do have an extra Ei module and coil in case i need it now or down the road. So going back to fuel, I put on a pressure gauge just to see where i am at before i swap the lines. When the electric pump is running, pressure is at at about 2.5 but when i turn it over and the mechanical kicks in, it shoots up to 5psi. Is it possible i have too much pressure and once i pull the elecitric pump, should pressure be ~3 or ~5, or does it matter as long as i have a certain pressure?