• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trying to figure out what lug I need for these older 15x7 slots

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok have found plenty of straight shank Cragar style wheel lugs online but I make sure I get exactly what the wheels require.

They are older 15x7 slots I think they are Alcoa but could be totally wrong.

ID bore of the lug is 1 6/64”
ID of the shank bore is 7/8” and shank depth is 5/8”
Overall depth is 1 9/16”

I think it’s critical that the shank bore ID and shank OD on the lug are very close? Same as the shank depth on the lug can’t be longer then the shank bore on the wheel itself?

Any help or links to the right wheel lug would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Jeff

Attachments

• D6C27491-C817-4770-B7A0-10B68323DBE6.jpeg
    D6C27491-C817-4770-B7A0-10B68323DBE6.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 70
  • F59416A4-0A7D-4844-AA36-94ED50D5CB83.jpeg
    F59416A4-0A7D-4844-AA36-94ED50D5CB83.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 71

eb-nutt1

Isn't that the factory mags from the mid/late 70's? I have a set to go on my luber.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Isn't that the factory mags from the mid/late 70's? I have a set to go on my luber.
Maybe they are, but I honestly don’t know. I bought them off a member here that had them for a long time. I just knew they were right width and back spacing I needed for my luber.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Not OEM ford, the hub pilot is too large. Could be OEM Heep, but should still have center cap holes drilled and tapped. It’s possible that they had steel inserts for a tapered lug nut. Are there any whiteness marks from splines being pressed in?

Edit: like This except it has a square shoulder

Last edited:

68Rcodeman

Contributor
Jeff, are the seat area beveled for a acorn seating lug nut? Hard to tell with the hole being resist . A short shank with the same outside diameter washer would center the wheel on the shank. I have an F-250 with short shank lug nuts. I will remove one and see if their the same.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jeff, are the seat area beveled for a acorn seating lug nut? Hard to tell with the hole being resist . A short shank with the same outside diameter washer would center the wheel on the shank. I have an F-250 with short shank lug nuts. I will remove one and see if their the same.
No it’s definitely a straight bore or square shoulder. Thanks let me what you find.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok I did a little hunting around online and I think the wheels might be vintage Ansen?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I remember those shouldered lugnuts. And the special thick chrome washers that went on the nuts as well. So even finding the right lug nuts may not be enough if they don't come with the washers as well.

Double66

Contributor
These might work for those wheels. They are flanged with a washer. I run a longer style on my turbines.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123_215127_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_215127_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
These might work for those wheels. They are flanged with a washer. I run a longer style on my turbines.
Yes I’m think that is probably very close to what these wheels.

I did find someone on eBay that specializes in lug nuts. From modern wheels to vintage wheels. I’m going to send my specs from off my wheels to see if he has a direct fit. Some of his stuff he had listed where very specific to some applications. I’ll keep you guys posted!

Thanks for all the input!

brewchief

Gorilla lug nuts has a decent online catalog that shows dimensions, only problem I found was the 7/8 hole dia. Probably want to verify that.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok after contacting a few lug nut sellers on eBay, I finally figured out what mag I have. They are vintage Appliance mags and the use a step shoulder lug with a sleeved washer/bushings to take up the larger diameter of the lug hole. I guess back in the day they were a one piece but now they all two piece.

Mystery finally solved! 😉

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They are older 15x7 slots I think they are Alcoa but could be totally wrong.
Looks like you found your answer. In your second picture showing the maximum load of the wheel, that stylized A in the beginning of the sequence is the old “Appliance“ logo.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like you found your answer. In your second picture showing the maximum load of the wheel, that stylized A in the beginning of the sequence is the old “Appliance“ logo.
Yes, for some reason I completely forgot about Appliance wheels so I was thinking all along Ansen.

So I think it would be cool now to find some Appliance center caps for the back wheels.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would have thought “Ansen“ or “Alcoa“ also. The Appliance logo was pretty distinct, but I can’t even remember what the Ansen Sprint “A” looked like anymore.