• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trying to figure out year of half cab?

Lhsneon50

Ok I bought a body a year ago. Literally just a body, no frame. I know sort of where to look for the VINs but I do not know if they are stamped in the metal or are they plates. The glove box door says it's a 67 half cab I believe it was. It has a top on it, but no holes in the back for seats? I am a complete bronco newbie and need all help I can get. I did just aquire a 71 frame tho!.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
What is your question? The glove box would not have had an ID tag in '67 originally. It was mounted to the driver kick panel in '66 and '67. If your body is in fact a '67 and the tag is in the glove box, someone moved it there. Other than the ID tag, there would be a sticker affixed to the driver door post starting in 1970 I believe. There definitely wouldn't be a sticker there on a '67.

The better question is, why worry about the year of the body? The title should go with the frame. Other than some minor differences with the doors, dash, side marker lights, and tailgate, the bodies were all relatively the same.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Make sure you get clear title for it in you start sinking money and time in it.

chuckyb

Contributor
Welcome to the forum. It's worth the $15 subscription so that you can post pictures. Put some pics up and the gurus here will be able to tell you in minutes what year your half cab body is. It would be good to know for at minimum understanding what doors you have (or need).

Agree that the key here is to have a frame with a good title, though.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, it sounds like the rectangular plate was moved from the drivers kick panel to the glove box door.
You can decipher the VIN #.
A 1/2 cab VIN would start with U14, a wagon U15 and a roadster U13. The rest is drivetrain, color, and other info.
Post the VIN # or a picture of the plate for more info.
Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And to add to what they already said, in case you're wondering there are no other VIN stampings on a Bronco body. It was just the warranty plate for the body, and the VIN stamped into the frame that identified the vehicle.

And these VIN's are short, so there is very little additional info embedded therein
Pretty much model, engine type, the plant it was built in, and the sequence it was built in.
So you can tell approx. when it was built and with what size engine, but that's about it.

All other info is on the Warranty Plate which will have the axle codes, the DSO to show where it was originally delivered, and a couple of other items.
And precious little (to nothing) else on the Bronco would originally have reflected the VIN either. No engine block markings, no axle markings, nothing that would have tied a component to a particular Bronco.
Since it sounds like you have the dash, if it was something unique such as no radio hole or the optional holes for dual-tank switch and hand-throttle knob, there might be a hand painted number on the backside that matches the last few numbers of the VIN to tell the assembly line worker which Bronco to install it on.

Paul