• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tuffy split box with painless glove box

Ropagnani

i just installed a new dash and while doing it installed a painless wiring kit with the fuse hole and mounted fuse box, question is what are my options for a glove box door assuming i want to install a roll cage? does tuffy make a split box door that can mount to the painless box? any other options?

SHX669

Bronco Guru
The Tuffy door is offset to clear most roll cages and yes it will accept the fuse box mounted to the side of the glovebox.
If I understand correctly you're trying to use a painless glove box with a Tuffy door?

OP
OP
R

Ropagnani

correct, i already have the painless glove box in (really dont want to mess with it) just was wondering if a door swap would work somehow

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Hmm -.I doubt it but I'll look. My '68 has the Painless Harness and glovebox and the '76 has the Tuffy glovebox with factory wiring and glovebox mounted fuse box.
It might be possible with some amount of fabrication but I'm wondering if it would be just as easy to modify the factory glovebox door. I've seen it dome several different ways

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The plastic glovebox that comes with the painless kit attaches to the dash from behind just like the OEM cardboard liner does. The Tuffy glove box is a single piece that installs from the front of the dash. The storage area inside the Tuffy is less than an OEM box because of needing to slide in through the stock opening. It also doesn't utilize the OEM glove box hinges at all. The face attaches to the steel box portion. Even if you could get the Tuffy front face and door by itself, what would you attach it to?

There are a couple of solutions for a stock glovebox door with a roll cage:

http://broncohio.com/tech/gloveboxdoor.html

https://classicbroncos.com/glove_box_hinge.shtml

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tufy glove box and painless harness with roll cage. Only issue was time to cut the box for the painless fuse block, I just could not get it right but about 6 attempts in I finally removed enough for it to fit. My problem not theirs.

Look at my build post 116 i think middle photo