• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vacation to Vegas & CA (WH visit)

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Group,

I know a lot of you are from this area and I am trying to plan a vacation for my family. Here is what I have so far, flying into Vegas. Do Vegas, Hoover dam, and make it out to Grand Canyon. From there we are headed west and would like to do Sequoia National forest and definitely want to stop at Wild Horses just to check it out. May be meet some of the guys I have talked to on the phone ordering parts. Meeting Mitch and seeing his rig would be awesome! Also are considering going to the redwood forest and then fly back home to PA from Sacramento. Any other ideas what to see /do?

Dannyboy71

You might want to visit the San Diego zoo, Maybe seaport villiage(shopping and lunch) and maybe Sea world. Just the things I thought of first?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you want to see the west fly into vegas then go to saint George Utah then north to Moab on the way see Bryce and Zion then Moab, south to 4 corners then down to Grand canyon then west to cali and north to mammoth, lake tahoe, Bodie then west through truckee and then to the coast and up north through the redwoods and up to wild horses. Throw away your kids luggage since they will grow out of it anyway and pack a pair of corner guards for your Bronco and fly home. Know nothing above frisco so other will have to advise. Skip frisco it just a pain in the arse.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Hi Sam, I know you have an interest in railroading. There is a great railroad museum in Sacramento.

jperry1290

There are not too many tourist destinations near WH. Lake Tahoe is a few hours drive and I would recommend seeing it if you have time. Sacramento is fairly close and the train museum is pretty nice. If you are plan on going to the San Francisco area be prepared for traffic.

71 CA Bronco

I guess it depends on how much time you have. A lot to see. I would limit my trip to Northern or Southern California. Otherwise you might get sick of driving.

Personally I would skip Sacramento and WH. I love WH but as said they are a bit from any real tourist destinations. You could always plan a trip out for the next WH round up. Much more going on during that time and a lot of fun.

If Norcal:

Vegas - Tahoe via Sequoia/Mammoth - San Fran (I wouldn't stay long but ladies like it and good food) - Fly home from there.

If Socal:
Vegas - Huntington Beach - Take PCH to Dana Point - San Diego (Zoo and/or SeaWorld) - Fly home from there or back to orange county and fly out of John Wayne Airport.

My 2 cents worth.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sound like a ton of fun, but a lot of driving. :eek: You may also consider Yosemite on your way to northern, Ca. Out of your way some, about 2.5 hours from Wild Horses, but probably worth it. Also, if you are interested in rail roads as gnsteam mentioned, you could stop by the historic Kelso Train Depot on your way to Ca from Vegas. Its about 45 min south of Baker, Ca. off the 15 fwy. We did the restoration about 20 years ago. Turned out nice.

Have fun!

661buster1963

Death Valley is very cool, white mountains are home to earths oldest living feature(bristle one pines), obsidian mound near mammoth, devils post pile in mammoth. The Valley of Fire is transcendentally cool but not as cool for kids maybe

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s a huge amount of territory to cover! Like others have said I’d winnow it down a bit or you’ll spend 3/4 of your vacation driving.
Vegas and the canyons are a vacation all together. So is So Cal, eastern Sierra, Nor
Cal and San Francisco. And they are a long ways apart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Thanks for all the advise! I guess we need to start planning things out to see what is doable in 7 days. You guys are the best!

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Just in case it has not been mentioned I would put Yosemite on the list. If you hike take the bus to Glacier point and hike back down I think it's 8 miles. If you don't hike just take the bus up and back. Pics just don't do this place justice.
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/glacierpoint.htm

As for stopping by WH we would love to have you come by for the nickel tour. PM once you know your schedule.

Jim

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Don't forget about Yosemite too. It would be a shame to come this way and miss one of the most spectacular National Parks in US. You will be very close and it is amazing!!

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Just in case it has not been mentioned I would put Yosemite on the list. If you hike take the bus to Glacier point and hike back down I think it's 8 miles. If you don't hike just take the bus up and back. Pics just don't do this place justice.
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/glacierpoint.htm

As for stopping by WH we would love to have you come by for the nickel tour. PM once you know your schedule.

Jim

Don't forget about Yosemite too. It would be a shame to come this way and miss one of the most spectacular National Parks in US. You will be very close and it is amazing!!

Definitely the spot to hit while out there....

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Just an update on this. We made our flight reservations so probably on the 2nd or 3rd of Aug I will get to WH in person! I am so excited!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
that's great! Hope you have a relaxing time and not all rushed around. Although hey, a vacation is still a vacation, even if it's rushed sometimes!

The pizza off of the chuck wagon in the parking lot ain't half bad in case you're there for lunch. And if they have some of those great "meat sticks" laying around the break room while you're there, sneak in and grab some! mmmm..

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And speaking of flying in... Did you already make your rental car reservations? If not, it might be too late! Definitely pre-order any rentals, as they're in short supply (and expensive) in many places already, even before people are fully back up and traveling.

paul