• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Verify leaf springs **updated with measurements**

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry for the delay. I’m gonna have to go to Plan B because I couldn’t get my springs out. Awkward angles, lots of rain and a bum shoulder right now didn’t let me move them into the light.
I’ll try again in the morning.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Sorry for the delay. I’m gonna have to go to Plan B because I couldn’t get my springs out. Awkward angles, lots of rain and a bum shoulder right now didn’t let me move them into the light.
I’ll try again in the morning.
Thanks! I really do appreciate it. And if you can’t get at them right away it’s probably not the end of the world. I’m probably committed to buying them at this point.

But I’m just finishing up bracing the body for removal. So I won’t be able to test the springs for a while. But it would be super helpful if I could get a measurement at some point to get maybe an idea if I should even continue with them. Or get them back up for sale.

I probably should have just ordered some. But the shipping is such a bummer. That is the reason I’m willing to drive 5+ hours to get them.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
They were definitely painted over. But I was able to run some acetone on them and basically only reveal that they are WH something.5 of course I couldn’t see the number that actually mattered!

But I did get some measurements.

From table to bottom leaf is 12 1/2 inches

From the table to the top leaf is 9 3/4 inches

Front to back is 46 1/4 inches

center eyelet to center eyelet is 44 3/8 inches

So if anyone out in bronco land has some wild horses 3.5 rear leaf springs not mounted on your truck yet, it would be really awesome if you could get some measurements! I’d buy ya beer through Venmo or something 😂

I wanna order the rest of the pieces from wh to mount these if they are correct. But if not it would be pointless.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_4456.jpeg
    IMG_4456.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4459.jpeg
    IMG_4459.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4457.jpeg
    IMG_4457.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4458.jpeg
    IMG_4458.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4452.jpeg
    IMG_4452.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4453.mov
    11.2 MB

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry you haven't gotten a confirmation yet. Still working on it myself, but life just keeps jumping out in front of me, making me swerve constantly!

One good bit of luck is this. If you want them to be a certain height, they can be.
For example, if you want to be at 3.5" and they turn out to be 5.5" springs, you simply remove a leaf or three. Softens up the ride even more, but might leave you without a big payload capacity. If carrying junk is in this Broncos' future.
If they turn out to be shorter than you want, you can then use a block to make up the difference. Say a 1" block, to make a 2.5" pack into a 3.5" lift.
Sure, blocks are frowned upon for hard use, or when trying to reduce axle wrap, but they do work and are quite easily "tuneable" for height.
Might not even need them initially anyway. Most of our springs are going to sit high in the rear initially. You gotta' wait for them to settle. Unless you're the impatient type, like most anyone would be in this case, and want to add some weight, or heavy driving for awhile to persuade them to settle.

So you still have options. Besides, you own the springs already! So just go the direction you really want to go, then make them work for you.

Paul

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Sorry you haven't gotten a confirmation yet. Still working on it myself, but life just keeps jumping out in front of me, making me swerve constantly!

One good bit of luck is this. If you want them to be a certain height, they can be.
For example, if you want to be at 3.5" and they turn out to be 5.5" springs, you simply remove a leaf or three. Softens up the ride even more, but might leave you without a big payload capacity. If carrying junk is in this Broncos' future.
If they turn out to be shorter than you want, you can then use a block to make up the difference. Say a 1" block, to make a 2.5" pack into a 3.5" lift.
Sure, blocks are frowned upon for hard use, or when trying to reduce axle wrap, but they do work and are quite easily "tuneable" for height.
Might not even need them initially anyway. Most of our springs are going to sit high in the rear initially. You gotta' wait for them to settle. Unless you're the impatient type, like most anyone would be in this case, and want to add some weight, or heavy driving for awhile to persuade them to settle.

So you still have options. Besides, you own the springs already! So just go the direction you really want to go, then make them work for you.

Paul
I’ll get the right ones if these are incorrect.

I do really appreciate ya still thinking bout it. If you ever get the chance I’d love to have that measurement if the opportunity arises. I don’t think I’m gonna have the body on for a while.

As it always seems to go, you really start digging into a project and life’s gotta throw a wrench in there for fun. Hopefully not for to long