• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tricks to verify odometer reading...

Jbwalsh76

I apologize in advance if this post belongs elsewhere. I'm fairly new to the EB and looking around to take the plunge.

I came across a '75 recently that the current owner is saying has roughly 26,XXX miles on it and I'm trying to figure out how I can fact check this or if there are things to look for mechanically where I can try to verify that the true mileage isn't more so in the 126k mile range.

More or less looking for tell-tale signs of age that I can be on the look out for like the driver's seat pad being worn, gas/brake pedal wear or specific things to look at in the engine...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
JB

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've never done it but does a marti report or similar show show any maintenance or repairs with the mileage at the time? With all the new parts available it would be pretty easy to fake.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No mechanical way by the odometer itself.
Should be some paperwork. Any emissions tests, they record odometer readings.
Any service records?

Next look at condition of the vehicle. Brake pedal rubber wear, etc.

I recently got lucky the other way. No documentation, odo said 60k. Leaked bad, guessed 160k. Seller bought at estate auction so nobody knew. Started digging into it. Everything was factory. Nylon timing chain gear still had all the teeth, alternator was original with the factory clips on the back. Neglected, but original. I got me a tired 60k truck.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Look for pedal pad wear. Floor mat wear. Does the odometer numbers line up nice and straight. Has the alternator and voltage regulator looked replaced? Does the truck headlights still have the ford ovals embossed in the glass. How much hand wear on the shifter. The hoses on the engine origional. Glass on the truck have ford markings? Look for whats missing and not replaced.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...try to verify that the true mileage isn't more so in the 126k mile range.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Just assume it has 226Kmi, and move on to what really matters - its actual current CONDITION. If the major components (engine, trans, t-case, diffs, brakes, wiring...) have been recently repaired/replaced/restored/upgraded, then the original mileage is moot anyway. And it's a 44-year-old 4WD truck that was inexpensive & purely utilitarian when new. You should expect that it has been through a lot. The fact that it has a crude mechanical odometer (easily tampered with) that only has 5 digits (easily rolled over several times) is another reason to just ignore the odo.

The replacement, modern, upgraded, UNrebuilt engine in my Bronco has about a million miles, and it still runs perfectly. So mileage alone isn't a particularly-useful gauge anyway.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was thinking 226,000 too, exactly like 83 said current condition does it run well does smoke come out the exhaust on start or while driving, do a compression check I think seats are usually a dead give away if the drivers side is worn pretty well diff north of 100k miles.

Pretty sure the 9 inch and the Dana would be fine with over 100k
If the person is aging only 26000 on the truck make them prove it, how long have they had etc

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Undocumented is just that, undocumented. At which point you just buy off condition. The seller can claim anything they want. Lots of people will restore a vehicle and reset the odometer back to zero during the restoration. So it may be 26k since it was restored. But what one person calls restored, another might just call lipstick on a pig. I've seen plenty of "restored" cars that were nothing more than a paint job over a bucket of bondo. Otherwise very low standards of "restored".

Even if it really is only 26k, condition matters. My '77 F250 was bought under the assumption it was 160k. Later figured it was only 60k. But an old 60k isn't like a modern 60k. Age still hurts stuff regardless of mileage. I had to rebush the complete suspension just because the rubber was rotting. All the cork gaskets had parished. I still need a full set of weatherstriping. The engine wasn't the greatest and really could use a bit of a rebuild.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Look for old maintenance records and receipts.
We bought our '77 new, and without the maintenance/repair record books (yes It's filled one) I wouldn't have been able to tell how many miles it's got. I even documented the date and mileage the speedo was swapped out.
The car's got over 300K miles on it and still runs and looks great!
These things are timeless and mileageless too.%)