• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Water Pump to Power Sterring

Tulsa76bronco

I just installed a Saginaw pump noticed my pulleys were off now I am trying to figure out how to align them. I had a really weird 8 inch pulley on the crankshaft which I took off thinking I could put two brand new wild horse pulleys on for the crank and the water pump. When I called toms they said I need to measure my harmonic balancer to make sure their pulleys work I assume the same at Wild Horses with their pulley set. I don’t understand where I need to measure to get the 2 inches that they said I need so their pulleys will work. They said if it is three inches theirs wont work as it will put them out too far.

On another note if I can’t find the right smaller pulleys could I just hook the steering pump directly to the water pump pulley?
With my old crank pulley it is about 7 inch diameter pulley where the belt sits that goes around the water pump and alternator this would all line up just fine as that is how PO had it. The new Saginaw pump is not lining up anymore with that pulley as it sits closer to block and I don’t want to shin it out that far plus the pulley it would be going to would be 8 inches. This is why I’m asking if I can just got to the water pump pulley with that belt.

I wanted to get rid of this massive pulley that the PO put on.

FYI
I was having overheating issues put in a new water pump put in a new steering pump because it was leaking so at the same time decide to change pulleys that looked weird I have a 302 with a four bolt harmonic balancer. Not the original engine of course

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Picture of big pulley PO put on as u can tell it sticks way out
The other pulley I thought would work but it was an 8inch pulley and the water pump pulley wouldn’t fit with it on

Attachments

• 23E2B423-122C-4A10-BD4C-F288D4117333.jpeg
    23E2B423-122C-4A10-BD4C-F288D4117333.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 1D5A456D-A226-4652-BB73-03C755F36BF8.jpeg
    1D5A456D-A226-4652-BB73-03C755F36BF8.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 11
  • EC1E894A-D424-46EB-A04C-14BF210C680F.jpeg
    EC1E894A-D424-46EB-A04C-14BF210C680F.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 8247098F-0B7E-4A43-80C3-5B6010B2F8F6.jpeg
    8247098F-0B7E-4A43-80C3-5B6010B2F8F6.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 12

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I had the same problem with my pulleys not lining up. Wound up measuring pulley on the water pump that had been installed. Found out it was misaligned by 1/2”. Went to NAPA and asked for a water pump for an ‘86 roller motor (which is what the casting #s indicated) and put my pulley on it and it fit. Have zero idea what the shop was sent initially. You may have to do something like that.

Randy

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

It’s not that I can’t line them up with my PO crank pulley it’s that I don’t like the big pulley and trying to get a smaller one. The water pump pulley lines up just fine with the current pulley and the new water pump is near identical one I pulled off

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
I think you'll need a balancer with a flat face, like so

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Yeah that is what I was thinking as a last resort gr8scott, just don't want to throw too much at this engine and I don't know anything about balancers and how to install and dial them in

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Anyone's thoughts on if I just hook the power steering pump pulley up to the water pump pulley? Will this work?

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
Yeah that is what I was thinking as a last resort gr8scott, just don't want to throw too much at this engine and I don't know anything about balancers and how to install and dial them in

The balancers have a keyway, can only be installed one way.

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

so I can literally just take one off and push on the new one. Don't I have to dial it in? There are a lot of marks on it

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
Anyone's thoughts on if I just hook the power steering pump pulley up to the water pump pulley? Will this work?

It'll probably work, but I would consider that temporary fix at best. The problem is, if your alternator belt snapped you're dead in the water, so to speak. Best to double up at the crank pulley so if one belt snaps you still have your water pump with the second belt.

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
so I can literally just take one off and push on the new one. Don't I have to dial it in? There are a lot of marks on it

Yeah pretty much. Most balancers these days come with three sets of timing numbers. One set will line up with the pointer with piston #1 at TDC.

1661791345130.png

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

It'll probably work, but I would consider that temporary fix at best. The problem is, if your alternator belt snapped you're dead in the water, so to speak. Best to double up at the crank pulley so if one belt snaps you still have your water pump with the second belt.
My thought was: one belt Alternator, WP and Crank, this was original setup on my EB so I would keep that. I guess that was what you are saying up top but since it has been that way I guess it can remain that way for a while. Second belt WP to Power Steering pump. This one used to go PS to crank but can't get the spacing correct

I see in lot of pictures water is directly to crank and then second belt goes all around everything

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
My thought was: one belt Alternator, WP and Crank, this was original setup on my EB so I would keep that. I guess that was what you are saying up top but since it has been that way I guess it can remain that way for a while. Second belt WP to Power Steering pump. This one used to go PS to crank but can't get the spacing correct

I see in lot of pictures water is directly to crank and then second belt goes all around everything

Either way would work, but at the very least, carry spare belts!