• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Water temp and oil press read off scale high

Hercfe9

Loc.
Point Mugu
Just installed a new centech wire harness and my water and oil press gauges read high. when I turn the key on the water temp goes full scale high and when I start it the oil press goes straight to above 90 psi and there is no movement even at idle. I assume if it were a grounding issue the gauges would read zero?? Any help would be great thanks. I replaced the oil and water sending units.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The gauges will peg out when the sending unit wire is grounded out. Id would check your wiring again make sure its correct. Also some later model sending units dont work right with bronco gauges so you may want to ensure you have the correct sending units.

Oil prressure in a cold engine can be very high and not change until everything is up to temp. So that one may be working. but I think your temp sender or wring has some issues.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Did you somehow bypass the ICVR with the new harness? Or fail to ground the cluster? Sending 12V to the gauges continuously will peg them. The ICVR pulses 12V to simulate 6V, but the ICVR case must be grounded for it to work.

broncitis2105

I forgot to connect the voltage regulator on the back of the cluster when I installed my painless harness. Once connected, gauges read correctly. You may want to take a look at that.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
IVR bypassed, not grounded, or bad.
First place I would be looking.

What about the fuel gauge?

OP
OP
Hercfe9

Hercfe9

Loc.
Point Mugu
Fuel gauge reads 3/4 and I know that's wrong but that could be a sending unit. I'll check grounds today and update. Thanks