• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Weird plastic bottle in rear quarter panel?

Trooper1276

Loc.
San Antonio TX
Tonight I was removing some diamond plate rear quarter inserts that the PO installed. what I found behind is a plastic bottle with three tubes running down below the bed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54965061@N04/7185665014/

Any ideas what this is?

I have been under the rig many time and have seen these tube but I always thought they were from a Aux tank at one time or another.

The bottle is white plastic that have been over sprayed with bed-liner and paint

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Tonight I was removing some diamond plate rear quarter inserts that the PO installed. what I found behind is a plastic bottle with three tubes running down below the bed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54965061@N04/7185665014/

Any ideas what this is?

That is the infamous bronco fuel expansion tank. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86497

The bottle is white plastic that have been over sprayed with bed-liner and paint

Hmmmmmm........do you know who has "restored" or fixed up your bronco?

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One line is vapor out of rear tank ,one line is liquid return to rear tank the other line goes across frame to passenger side frame rail up to front emission tank

OP
OP
Trooper1276

Trooper1276

Loc.
San Antonio TX
original "restorer"

I don't know who did the job. But I can tell you that he did a piss poor job. He welded plates over the rusted out sections, filled in rusted sections with bond-o thicker than my fist! engine brackets made of angle iron, roll bar only have one nut at the rear holding it on to the body, seat belts screwed into the sheet metal with self tapping screws Etc. I have owned the bronco since last September and this thing has all kinds of issues. basically I got a cover up job. E-bay always has its pit-falls, but it runs and drives fine and from 15 feet away looks good. I just keep on fixing stuff....

OP
OP
Trooper1276

Trooper1276

Loc.
San Antonio TX
Fuel smell

You know... I have been wondering were the fuel smell is coming from? those three lines are cut underneath. and the canister on the passenger side has nothing going to it. I bet fuel vapors are escaping from the hose at the top of the tank.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I don't know who did the job. But I can tell you that he did a piss poor job. He welded plates over the rusted out sections, filled in rusted sections with bond-o thicker than my fist! engine brackets made of angle iron, roll bar only have one nut at the rear holding it on to the body, seat belts screwed into the sheet metal with self tapping screws Etc. I have owned the bronco since last September and this thing has all kinds of issues. basically I got a cover up job. E-bay always has its pit-falls, but it runs and drives fine and from 15 feet away looks good. I just keep on fixing stuff....

That sounds oh so familiar.

You know... I have been wondering were the fuel smell is coming from? those three lines are cut underneath. and the canister on the passenger side has nothing going to it. I bet fuel vapors are escaping from the hose at the top of the tank.

That would be my guess. I just disconnected mine. I don't like have fuel vapors sitting right behind me.

ransil

Bronco Guru
This post should be a sticky, the mystery bottle come up once every few months.

I always use the bottle & charcoal canisters as they keep the garage from filling up with fumes.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
My bottle was intact,but the charcoal canaster was gone and the line to it was plugged. That line was loose at the bottle and all the vapors were venting into the Bronco. I had to disassemble the rollbar to get to the screws. Now it vents to the outside,doesn't do much for the garage smell,but a great improvement in the Bronco. Before it would be strong smelling any time it got warm,in the shop or outside.

Revelation

Bronco Guru

Ebay? Did it happen to come from North Alabama?

Revelation

Bronco Guru
In another thread he said he got it from a guy in Ocala Fl. But maybe that guy got it from ole Rip Off Reb and saw the garbage and re-pawned it off on another unsuspecting soul.

jray

I always wondered what that thing looked like back there. Ours has a plate mounted in front of it with the roll bar in front of the plate. I've been wanting to take the plate off, but am just not ready to pull out the roll bar yet.

OP
OP
Trooper1276

Trooper1276

Loc.
San Antonio TX
Po

I bought it from a guy in Ocala FL. He was not the mechanical type and didn't really know much about broncos. He said he got it from a guy in N.C. That did the rebuild. All of that could be B.S. nobody really knows. I don't think it was one of Bamas rigs but you never know...A least it runs and drives.....for now

BTW

I'm in San Antonio now no more Nashville for me.