• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What do you guys think of the rust on this 1978?

DR650

Here's a brown 1978 Bronco that caught my eye. It has the exact amount of life I want and i like that it has a fresh engine in it but the rust might be a deal breaker. It's also far away from me so I have to add 2k in shipping to the price. Do you think fixing it would be as simple as fixing the rear quarter panels and the rust in the door jam or is it likely to a systemic issue that requires a full frame off to address?

Would this blue 1978 be a better use of my funds to start to my project assuming what the owner says about it having "no rust" is true?

Edit: Update on the blue Bronco. The owner said it runs and drives but he's put basically zero miles on it since he got it. My question then is, how do I know the transfer case, trans, differentials, etc. aren't all ready to fall apart? My diagnostic ability for those compoments is basically do a test drive of 20 miles over varying engine loads and see if everything works smoothly without grinding.

This is a question for people with knowledge of Californias smog laws: Does this photo indicate that, for smog purposes, the bronco is a federal bronco, IE that it has the less restricive smog requirments of Broncos that were not orignally sold in California.

Last edited:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The Brown one is well optioned, but has wicked rust. Are you doing the repairs or will a shop? The later option will not be inexpensive, nor will shipping for the limited availability of body panels.

Sounds like the blue on is owned by a flipper, just looking at pictures there is a lot missing.

Emissions, I am not aware if the Vin can be deciphered to know if it is CA or FED. If it doesn't have the factory emissions sticker on the Drivers valve cover you could be out of luck claiming one way or another. You could pull a Marti report and find out what it's DSO was (Where it was first sold) which might help. I looked at a 78 up in Bend, OR that was originally from northern CA and it was a non Cat. Which was stated as such on the aforementioned sticker. First one that I had seen...

In looking at both Rigs, I can see smog equipment removed, but weather that was part of FED emission standards, I can't say.

OP
OP
DR650

DR650

The Brown one is well optioned, but has wicked rust. Are you doing the repairs or will a shop? The later option will not be inexpensive, nor will shipping for the limited availability of body panels.

Sounds like the blue on is owned by a flipper, just looking at pictures there is a lot missing.

Emissions, I am not aware if the Vin can be deciphered to know if it is CA or FED. If it doesn't have the factory emissions sticker on the Drivers valve cover you could be out of luck claiming one way or another. You could pull a Marti report and find out what it's DSO was (Where it was first sold) which might help. I looked at a 78 up in Bend, OR that was originally from northern CA and it was a non Cat. Which was stated as such on the aforementioned sticker. First one that I had seen...

In looking at both Rigs, I can see smog equipment removed, but weather that was part of FED emission standards, I can't say.
Thanks 9, I'm gonna pass on the brown one. The blue one is iffy though I do like the interior and it is only 100 miles from me. Hmmm. I might ask him to check if it has the factory emissions sticker and buy it if he's willing to come down significantly on the price

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Blue one is rough. The VIN sticker has a tape ring around it where it has been repainted. And that was so long ago that the repaint is roached. And it is missing so much stuff. The A/C is a dealer installed kit. To me it looks like it just needs to spend the rest of its life as a beater.

The Brown one sure looks to be in better shape. Looks like an NP203 transfer case. A lot more original and complete. A lot less molested. But the rust. Hard to say from the pictures but I think that is still fixable without replacing the whole body. As much as I hate dealing with rust, I think the brown one is the better of the two.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I’d go for the blue one with “no rust”! It probably has some but certainly a lot less than the brown one. The missing parts are bolt on parts.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Brown one is too far gone with rust unless you are doing the work yourself, or plan on putting a body shop owner's kids through college. I agree with Scoop's post above, mostly bolt on stuff for the blue one. And you can see the floors to see if the rust is surface only. Most parts are available, unless the it has the NP203 and you need a chain or Ford specific part like the tailshaft housing. Since it is pretty close, go give it a test drive. Good luck!

57baja

Contributor
Thanks 9, I'm gonna pass on the brown one. The blue one is iffy though I do like the interior and it is only 100 miles from me. Hmmm. I might ask him to check if it has the factory emissions sticker and buy it if he's willing to come down significantly on the price

Where are you at? Ive got one nicer than both of those in Norcal. I'll send you some pics if you want. It's on a non op but i can get it smogged. 4 inch lift, 33's 400m /c6 combo

sk1nw4lk3r

Not really, these days. Especially mostly unmolested. Tons I see for sale from 7-10K don't even have half the interior.

I'd sell my 78 for $20k and it is exponentially nicer than that one for $15k.

qBAUgst.jpg

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Let’s see, ^^^ long time member who’s had some really nice rigs vs dealing with the unknown? That would be another $5K well spent.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Let’s see, ^^^ long time member who’s had some really nice rigs vs dealing with the unknown? That would be another $5K well spent.

Couldn't agree more with this. You will be in deeper than 20k with either of the rigs you posted.