• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

couple of drunk guys hanging out and say something stupid or interesting?

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has anyone ever put their body on a rotisserie and powder coated it instead of primer Epoxy?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Got a friend that did it with a jeep tub if that counts, it can be done right or wrong, good or bad? No idea, he liked it, hated painting but owned a powder coating operation to support his fabrication business, everything was powder coated.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Would never even consider it, same as putting bedliner on it to me.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I reworked my dash with an overlay my local powder coater had an exact color match. Turned out sweet and have considered PC other panels so Im interested in what others say about this...........I think you'll have to get the metal perfect for a nice finish since PC won't stick to fillers. Used as a primer sounds interesting.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I am going to ”stick“ with epoxy. I would think the cost would be expensive also.
You are right. But even if powder were free, it would still be bad.

Powder coat has no business on the exterior finish of an automobile.

@Yeller I also had a friend in the powder business. He worked in a shop, and powder coated everything in his spare time. And I do mean everything.

But there are two problems with powder. First, it bakes at high temperature. So all of the filler, sealer, deadener, and adhesives get baked off. Second, it has no capillary effect. So any seam or overlapping panel will not get the paint "sucked-in."

This results in catastrophic rust promotion in the seam overlap areas. You can't win. You can't seam seal over the powder, and the seam seal is baked off during powder. All that happens is the seam discolors and rusts in about 2 years. The white hardtop was beautiful, except where it discolored in the seams and gutters. He had the doors in powder as well. Looked unbelievably horrid, because he didn't have filler. It was so bad that he abandoned the project and sold it to me.

I will admit that powder made some excellent primer. But you need a liquid to fill in the overlaps and seams. The VW Beetle had it right. If I could dip my Bronco into a vat of paint, I would.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You are right. But even if powder were free, it would still be bad.

Powder coat has no business on the exterior finish of an automobile.

@Yeller I also had a friend in the powder business. He worked in a shop, and powder coated everything in his spare time. And I do mean everything.

But there are two problems with powder. First, it bakes at high temperature. So all of the filler, sealer, deadener, and adhesives get baked off. Second, it has no capillary effect. So any seam or overlapping panel will not get the paint "sucked-in."

This results in catastrophic rust promotion in the seam overlap areas. You can't win. You can't seam seal over the powder, and the seam seal is baked off during powder. All that happens is the seam discolors and rusts in about 2 years. The white hardtop was beautiful, except where it discolored in the seams and gutters. He had the doors in powder as well. Looked unbelievably horrid, because he didn't have filler. It was so bad that he abandoned the project and sold it to me.

I will admit that powder made some excellent primer. But you need a liquid to fill in the overlaps and seams. The VW Beetle had it right. If I could dip my Bronco into a vat of paint, I would.
My bronco and frame were dipped in epoxy, by an Automotive contractor