• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What octane gas??

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
And you're a condescending asshole %). Over the past several years I've noticed this. You seem like a very unhappy person. Hope you have a better new year!

As for others in this thread and on the board, thank you for making this site a great knowledge base and a welcoming educational resource.

Mike

Believe it or not that was nice for Steve, lol.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn't see anything wrong in Steve's post. Sometimes on the interwebs you read more negative or positive into something than was intended.

pbwcr

Originally Posted by pbwcr:
The gasoline at the pumps all have the same vapor pressure. Which means none are more or less volatile.
Steve wrote:
Not according to Ford & the EPA. Winter-blend fuels are more-volatile than summer-blends.
========
On any given day the Vapor pressure for 87 and 91 are the same. And I have seen the printouts from the distributor that proves it. Yes it varies by the time of the year and location to location.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
[/topic]
And you're a condescending jerk %).
Maybe. :cry: Good luck. :cool: And congratulations on being the first person to get onto my IGNORE list on this forum! Feel free to add my username to yours:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist
I didn't see anything wrong in Steve's post. Sometimes on the interwebs you read more negative or positive into something than was intended.
I hope that's the case. He doesn't seem to appreciate the work I put into that post (and probably most of the others he's referring to). Regardless what impression he gets from reading it, he should at least accept the possibility that I put all that effort into helping him; and not just to amuse myself somehow for no discernible reason.
Yup. :p Me, I try to avoid being a condescending jerk and just be a regular jerk.
Then let me the first to assure you: you're doing a FINE job! ;D :D :-*

[topic]
On any given day the Vapor pressure for 87 and 91 are the same. ... Yes it varies by the time of the year and location to location.
So just to be clear; are you saying that on a given day, the 87 at one location can have a different vapor pressure from the 87 &/or 91 at another location? Meaning: they're NOT all the same?
pbwcr said:
The gasoline at the pumps all have the same vapor pressure.
It still seems like that statement is wrong. Did you read that Ford TSB about volatility?

Last edited:

PaveBronco

Believe it or not that was nice for Steve, lol.

Yep, and that's why we love Steve, he just gets straight to the point. His advice has helped me many times, saving me time and money (which I every cent is precious), so Steve thanks keep the posts coming.

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use 89 and advance the timing more than stock. I only use 89 because 87 fuel is much less consistent. 87 octane can be blended with higher octane fuel to use up excess inventory. They can blend up but not down. It gets even screwier here in California with alcohol content and summer and winter blends so I use 89 and tune for it. The truck just runs more consistently for me. Your mileage may vary.

68ford

Bronco Guru
On the subject of dieseling when shutting off. My 302 is 10.5 to 1 iron heads and has a ton of overlap. Engine builder told me to start with 16 degrees lead timing. Did that ran good, but would diesel when shut off and fully warmed up. Called the guy and he said try 18 degrees and I'll have to lower the idle because the advanced timing would raise the idle. It did just that. Went to 18 degrees and lowered the idle back to the same as before to be fair. Has never dieseled again. It's been 15 yrs now. All he said was the timing made the engine run better which helped the flow in and out of it. He was right. I tried retarding the timing down as far as 10 degrees to stop it and got worse the lower I went.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
With 10.5 to 1 and iron heads and that much timing I guess you stuck with at least 91 Octane or do you have a really slow advance curve in the distributor so you can run lower octane? Are you using straight gas and not blended fuel out here in California?

68ford

Bronco Guru
With 10.5 to 1 and iron heads and that much timing I guess you stuck with at least 91 Octane or do you have a really slow advance curve in the distributor so you can run lower octane? Are you using straight gas and not blended fuel out here in California?

I run 91, never had any issues. Like a stated, the only issue I had was diesel/run-on at shut down. Advanced the timing and it went away. I think I can run that much advance due to a lot of overlap. Cam is a 108 lobe separation Isky mega cam. Advance is built per the cam. I think by 2500ish it's at full mechanical advance. Can't remember exactly. After having the long block built and running half again more advance than the stock 302, it actually runs cooler than the stock engine.