• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What power brake booster to get?

Jfryjfry

Our bronco came with some sort of aftermarket system. The booster is bad and I want the most powerful one I can fit. It is currently a 7” diameter, 6 3/4” long body. The master cylinder mounts are 3.25” wide. The mounts to the brackets are 4 but not square. The top outside is dropped down. The other three are 3.5” apart. The dropped one is 3” from the one below.

I have 3/4” clearance to the hood from the current one so I figured a 8” dual diaphragm would be good. The depth of it isn’t critical - I have room to play. But the mount is off. Is this a Ford bronco mount??

What should I order? (Besides hydroboost.... hopefully soon. I just need to get it back on the road)

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I JUST placed an order from TBP for a stock 8 inch booster. Mine was leaking air. But sounds like you might need to get a 'combo' with the master cylinder with it. Just my 2 cents. What year is it?

OP
OP
J

Jfryjfry

Dont need the master, just the booster. It’s a 72 but this obviously isn’t a stock system. I figure they probably just use Ford parts but was hoping someone could point to year make model of what to get. I assume this is a common booster that many here have

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The original booster was made by Bendix and is the best. I know of one rebuilder that likely has some. His name is booster Steve PN 503-238-8882. The new reproductions are ChiCom junk. They don't even bother to use inch pattern threads on the hardware.

68Broncoz

Contributor
I just purchased TBP larger Brake Booster and Master Cylinder and happy with the stopping power,

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Does the booster/mc fit over the driver side inner fender without any mods to the inner fender? If the inner fender is modified either factory or custom chances are it's a stock 76-77 set up. If fits over the inner fender without any mods its aftermarket. The early version of these came from bc and used a mustang 2 booster I think 78 for the year. When the mustang2 boosters became tougher to get the kit switched to a flatter gm booster on the same bracket. I didnt have much luck with the later ones lasting stopping 35s. I gave up and went hydroboost .

OP
OP
J

Jfryjfry

Ahhh. That’s the info I was looking for. Looks like the one I have is for a mustang ii. I can redrill the pattern on the bracket to make it a square and ordered an 8” booster from a speed shop. Should be here in a few days.

Thanks for the help - it was great in my decision-making and researching.