• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What size flare nut wrench(es) do I need?

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Changing brake lines and putting in the 1 1/16" bore camper special MC.

What size flare nut wrenches do I need? I don't want to damage flare nuts.

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
I would buy a small set from Sears or somewhere. You can always use them: fuel line fittings, transmission line fittings, brake ftiitings, etc. Get 5/16 - 5/8 and you'll have just about everything you'll come across covered.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Thanks! On my way to Sears now. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a size I might need. The brakes on this thing are going to be the death of me!;)

LouB

Loc.
St. Louis
I agree with buying the set. I just changed my master cylinder and hoses. I had everything but the 3/8. Also, I bled the brakes and all 4 bleeders took a 10 mm. Tell me I'm crazy but 3/8 - 7/16 didn't fit. Finnaly I tried the 10 mm, luckily the smallest metrick box wrenc in my set.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I agree with buying the set. I just changed my master cylinder and hoses. I had everything but the 3/8. Also, I bled the brakes and all 4 bleeders took a 10 mm. Tell me I'm crazy but 3/8 - 7/16 didn't fit. Finnaly I tried the 10 mm, luckily the smallest metrick box wrenc in my set.

Many of the aftermarket wheel cylinders use a 10 MM bleader valve

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru

If you replace the wheel cylinders, that's the size they have been coming with the last couple of years. I've bought a few that way.

I bought a set of Husky flare wrenches from HD. All the way up to 3/4, I use them for the P/S stuff as well.

Get the biggest set that you can afford. Sooner or later, you'll wind up needing them.