• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What TFI Distributor do you have??

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Ok been doing research on TFI distributors and see good and bad in reviews for Rich Porter, Duralast, Cardone, MSD, etc. So let me ask you guys; what TFI distributor do you run on your EFI motors?
I would like to get the oem Motorcraft but seem like you can only rebuild them, and I don't know if that's really the route i want to go as of this moment.

Thanks
Kev

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Bumping this. Feedback and experience will really help me decide if I should do the TFI swap with my Holley Terminator.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
MSD Pro Billet - you can put the Motocraft guts in them to make them even more reliable. I've had one on my 351W for years WITHOUT a hood with zero issues. It gets covered in mud, power steering fluid and pressure washed - still works great.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
MSD Pro Billet - you can put the Motocraft guts in them to make them even more reliable. I've had one on my 351W for years WITHOUT a hood with zero issues. It gets covered in mud, power steering fluid and pressure washed - still works great.

Ok. Now when you say "guts" are you talking about the Pip and ignition module?

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles

AustenKendall

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I verified the Cardone module was in working order, and then swapped it out with this new module, since I was running one before.

https://lmr.com/item/PDI-000555/1986-93-Mustang-50L-58L-Dyna-Mod-Tfi-Ignition-Module

The Cardone module is perfectly functional, and I'll be using it as a spare, should I need to do so.

There are so many different types of distributors, and ignition components available, and I've purchased the big name brands. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between them, and my current setup.

I do believe the remote TFI would be a great addition to whatever setup you select.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
I verified the Cardone module was in working order, and then swapped it out with this new module, since I was running one before.

https://lmr.com/item/PDI-000555/1986-93-Mustang-50L-58L-Dyna-Mod-Tfi-Ignition-Module

The Cardone module is perfectly functional, and I'll be using it as a spare, should I need to do so.

There are so many different types of distributors, and ignition components available, and I've purchased the big name brands. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between them, and my current setup.

I do believe the remote TFI would be a great addition to whatever setup you select.

Ok. Looks like many failures are due to the module and heat is a big factor to that, so looks like i may be going this route. Just curious where did you mount the heat sink? And just so I know, how did you verify if your cardone module was in working order? Thanks a lot for the link and the help.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I run what ever the part store has or junk yard units if I find them.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I had a bad MSD right out of the box from Summit. Used a stock one I had on the shelf and no issues for over two years. I have a Mallory I picked up NIB for a good deal- this is for my 351w in my crawler, hope I have better luck with it and a remote TFI heat sink like the one shown earlier.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
mallory best one out there. Bearing at the top of the shaft where all others have a bushing.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Ok. Now when you say "guts" are you talking about the Pip and ignition module?

Everything electronic on the inside has Ford stamping on it - I'm using the MSD TFI. I've gotten both of mine used for ~$150 and under - they have been working flawlessly.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rockauto has remote TFI Distributors for around $70 shipped...