• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

whats the difference

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn
what is the best for rust pervention? pro-15 or rust bullet. i want to spay this in the spring after the sheet metal is installed.

bpr

I use Eastwoods rust encapsulator by reccomendation. Goos stuff

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
All those products are meant to be applied to rust to stop it. The best rust preventor would be good prep and paint.

OP
OP
dube

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn
i plan on sand blasting it all after the prep work. just want a good coating on it.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I used both on my rig. I put Rust Bullet on my frame, but after seeing some negative reviews, I went with POR-15 for everything else. Even the base-coat on my body is POR-15. It might have been overkill given that I live in the mountains of a desert, but I figured what the heck.

I will say this, though: I had a leak of brake fluid from the MC once. It spilled onto many surfaces. Some of which were covered with Rust Bullet, and some with POR-15. Like many other paints, the brake fluid at through the POR-15 easily. However - it didn't touch the Bullet. Just some food for thought about resistance to chemicals.

But as far as which is better against rust? I don't know. Like I said, it is pretty dry here and the salt isn't used that heavily. I did see some reports on this forum indicating that Rust Bullet wasn't that great in the long run, though.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
If you are having it blasted then a good epoxy primer and paint is all you need. I would keep a quart of POR-15 for any areas that have rust that the blaster missed etc. or if you pull a panel for replacement, POR-15 will be the ideal product to paint the rusted pocket etc. To add any of these products to clean metal is just a waste of money and not recommended by the product manufacture either. When it is blasted, pay the extra to get it sprayed with an ospho or any other phoshphoric dichromate acid. It pickles the metal and stops any rust before it starts and is an excellent base for primer or paint.

OP
OP
dube

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn
Ok, thanks for the info. This is good to no. In Mn they love to use a lot of salt here on the roads in the winter. This bronco is from col, if it was from here it would be dust by now.

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Not sure about rust bullet but POR-15 is UV sensitive, which means it will fade to a grey i think. I dont think it affects the coating itself just the coloring. So you will probably need to top coat it with a paint or something else before it dries completely if any part of it will see sunlight...

Iam using Por-15 on my frame, axles and other components attached to the frame (tank, hangers etc) with chassis saver as a top coat.. then just priming and painting the body...

patterdale

Bronco Guru
what is the best for rust pervention? pro-15 or rust bullet. i want to spay this in the spring after the sheet metal is installed.

Didn't know we had an over population problem with Broncos that required spaying them. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Thunder Chicken

i just used por to paint my dana 44 and all the suspension parts under my bronco..i have to say i was very impressed.....

.a couple of tips i would offer.....

brush on the por15 w a sponge brush(the reg paint brush leaves marks) use at lesast two coats .......
put on in thin coats..........
wait at least 2 -3 hours between coats.......
get your self a bunch of those little sponge brushes they dont last too long .......

finally .....when you top coat it i reccomend spraying it on....any brush marks or imperfections in the por15 is pretty much taken care of if you spray on the top coat.

i sandblasted all my parts to bare metal before i started .........if you do that i dont think the metal prep is necessay ..........it just made a mess and the phosphorus coating it leaves behind is a pia to get off...even with water.

use gloves ,this stuff is hard as hell to get off your hands...but if you do get some on you, and you will,use a pumous stone after a day or so the pumous stone will get most of it, although your hands nay be bleeding when your finished.

over all i am impressed with the por, but like most paint jobs its 90 percent the prep that determines how it comes out. sand blast till your blue in the face then go for it.