• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel size

MudDoug

I have a Wild Horses 1.5” lift kit with a 1” body lift. I’m looking at 17 x 8.5“ wheels with a 4.75 backspace and 0 offset. can someone tell me if these will fit without rubbing or causing other issues?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey MudDiug. Sounds like you are still working with uncut rear fenders I presume?
Bit of a wide wheel for an uncut bronco. But with that much backspacing shouldn’t be a problem to find something to fit. At least in the rear.
However, once you get into that much backspacing, it becomes the front that typically rub on the radius arms.
Just something else to think about.

OP
OP
M

MudDoug

just saw this. It’s been a crazy week. Thanks for the information. It is a cut Bronco, I’m worried most about the front. How much backspacing do you think I can use?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s usually hard to find 17 inch wheels with less backspacing. They are out there, but they’re not always the style you like, or the price.
But the wheels themselves that you’re talking about will fit just fine. Most likely…
It’s the tire size that’s going to come in to play here more and more.
What size tires are you contemplating? And what year bronco? The 76 and 77 Broncos have different fitment issues with wheels, due to the design of the steering knuckles. Those issues usually go away with 17 inch wheels, but not always.

So, last questions for the moment.
1. What size tires?
2. What year rig?
3. Front wheel wells also cut?
4. Any other mods we should know about?

That should do it for now! :)

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
I have US Indy slots from wild horses 17x9 with 3.5 backspacing. They fit perfect. 285/75 tires sit about flush with fender flares maybe stick out 1/2 inch. No rubbing issues anywhere. 1973 with 2.5 inch SL and 1 inch BL. Just for reference and ideas.

OP
OP
M

MudDoug

It’s usually hard to find 17 inch wheels with less backspacing. They are out there, but they’re not always the style you like, or the price.
But the wheels themselves that you’re talking about will fit just fine. Most likely…
It’s the tire size that’s going to come in to play here more and more.
What size tires are you contemplating? And what year bronco? The 76 and 77 Broncos have different fitment issues with wheels, due to the design of the steering knuckles. Those issues usually go away with 17 inch wheels, but not always.

So, last questions for the moment.
1. What size tires?
2. What year rig?
3. Front wheel wells also cut?
4. Any other mods we should know about?

That should do it for now! :)
Looking at 33” tires, 1975 Bronco, body is from Rust Belt Broncos, I believe front fenders are cut, no other mods.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I believe front fenders are cut, no other mods.
Is your Bronco new to you? Ever had an early bronco before?
If the fronts are cut and flared, then the rears should be as well. Or perhaps you’re just referring to the fronts as “cut” because they are more wide-open compared to the rears?
Have any pictures you can share with us just so we know?

We need to know what actual size tires you’re contemplating. As 33 isn’t the only descriptor.
How wide? Are you going to go 255/80s? Or 305/60s?
Width is just as important as height.

Basically though, 33 inch tires with that much backspacing are going to rub the radius arms. Period… No matter how wide they are.
So you will need to adjust the steering stops down to avoid that.

The good news is, it doesn’t really hurt anything. Usually,
The bad news is that adjusting the steering stops means you lose some of your nice, tight turning radius to avoid the rubbing.

In the rear, that tall of a tire might rub the inner fender, if it’s too wide.
In the front, that wide of a tire could rub several spots if the body is not actually cut.
If the rears are uncut, that’s too wide of a wheel to start with.