• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where are you guys taking 1 too 3 days trips to any longer

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I've been on this sight for about 12 years now. & This morning I got to thinking that back years ago you guys were always posting pictures of 3 or more guys or family's getting together & going on crawling trips . Mostly in Colorado Utah & Calif. But all across the good old USA.
THEN I GOT TO WONDERING IF IT'S BECAUSE OUR Wonderful Government has close several trails. I hope it's not that we've lost enough to make a big difference.
. I remember one year about 5 went together & drove Hwy 1 up to Alaska. Now that's the trip i'd like to take.
.. Also feel free to join in & also if you've been wondering about why we don't talk about other issues.
... My how our world changes in 10 years.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
I still go. The trails we ride have been bagged and tagged. The rangers came out and put up trail markers on all the existing routes and now we are not supposed to go "Off Trail".
Uhm, what's the whole point of going out? To go "Off Trail'!!!!!

I am just glad that the local authorities told me they can't enforce it because they don't have 4x4 vehicles to follow us. I MAY or MAY NOT disregard the trail markers.

sriha

Up here we are actually in the works of building new trails and parks which is nice because MN seems to be a nanny state in just about everything else. Our weekend trip will be to Gilbert Iron Range off road park. Not sure if we will get on the new stuff since it seems to be pretty hard for those who drive more stock vehicles. The DNR is working with clubs to build a few trails scattered about the state and the two highlights are the Houston, MN park and the Boarder to Boarder trail that plans to link North Dakota to somewhere on the North Shore using minimal maintenance roads with obstacles and campgrounds thrown in. Although everything is moving at the governments pace, it may be a few years before those places are open.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
My last assignment in the Army was Fort Wainwright, AK. What a trip the Alaska Highway is! I'd have stayed up there, but my wife said "that's fine, just keep those paychecks coming!" I know you can do some wheeling up there, but I'm not sure where and what restrictions there are.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I think we lost a lot of these types of post to Facebook. We did the Dusi five years ago, no fire permits given since then. We're waiting for a wetter year to go back. This pic is the top of "Chicken Rock" with Courtwright reservoir in the background.

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 60

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
What is great about AZ is all the public land and endless trails.... BUT.......during fire season if it gets bad they close all FED/STATE lands and makes for a constricting summer.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Not to pull this off-topic, but so much gets closed in Ca because of all the riff-raff that goes and leaves trash like you wouldn't believe. They're either brain-dead, or just idiots (or brain-dead idiots!) because they obviously don't realize that they're just giving the extremists more reasons to fight harder to close the very land they're supposed to be enjoying.
It's bad enough that there's closures because of the fire season, but then we have idiots doing this kind of crap. Most of you have seen the kind of trash I'm talking about. Everything from bottles and cans to used diapers and even broken chairs and E-Z UP FRAMES!! You can't blame them for fighting to close with this going on.
Going "off-trail" should be OK, as long as you're not a 'bump wimp' as they call them in Moab. ie, People that carve a new trail right next to an existing one just to avoid some woops.

I'm looking forward to a couple of nice long day trips in Big Bear next week. My over-nighters are usually long pre-run type runs, 300 + miles out in the deserts of the southwest.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
That pretty good keep the stories coming. THAT Dusty was one I'd not hear of before.
I'm glad there wasn't 40 stories about the trails around you guys being closed.
But the last time my hunting buddy & I went to New Mexico on public land hunting.The turds had closed all the trails that went up the mountains. So If you wanted to hunt over the mountain you had to walk.
We haven't been back but then we found our place in New Mexico & we can drive anywhere we want too on about 100,000 ac.
But my life trip would be to do that Alaskan hwy.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I think garberz may be right that a lot of the discussion has moved to social media. In our case in So Cal, we actually keep it old school with our Yahoo email list for our So Cal Broncos runs and events.

I can't speak for everyone else but for the one big event I put on every year, the Big Bear Bronco Bash, about 5 years ago I stopped promoting it outside of our own email list (I don't even bang the drum about it here on CB). It was getting too big and I'm always afraid its going to catch the wrong attention from the wrong people. I know people who put on other organized trail runs around here and they have a LOT of hassle with getting permits and dealing with the various regulatory agencies. So we keep our event on the down-low and try to fly under the radar. Sort of like how Son O' Beach morphed into the "unevent".

But in general I've noticed (sadly) a trend here on Classicbroncos over the years, where the discussion has been steadily transitioning away from building and using trail rigs, and toward more stock restorations, resto-mods and show rigs. I guess that's inevitable as these things become more of a "classic car" than a trail rig people want to beat on.