• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where Did You Hide Your MSD Ignition Box?

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
I've had my MSD 6AL ignition control box mounted to the top surface of the passenger side inner front wheel tub for many years, but I think it looks like kind of dumb sitting there. Now that the Bronco is out for bodywork and paint, it seems like a good time to do a reset and weld up the holes, clean up the engine bay, and get it out of sight. I'm thinking I want to relocate it somewhere in the cab behind the dash or open to other ideas based on what others have done.

Anyone care to share what they did and how they stealth mounted their MSD box?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I did one in an AMX once. Even called MSD to make sure it was OK. Mounted in the trunk. Just keep the coil wires separate from everything else. And while at it do twisted pairs for both the pickup wires and the coil wires. Worked good, all steel car with factory suspension kept getting kicked off tracks for running 9s.

That is the most unique location I ever installed one.

Bronco4x4

I put mine one the driverside firewall (inside engine bay) next to the brake booster bracket.

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
I put mine in a box and replaced it with this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-510

So many more features than my MSD (6A).
-Does multi-spark through the entire RPM range (MSD cuts off at 3000).
-Muti-spark can be turned on or off and is programmable between two spark energy levels.
-Has a programmable rev limiter (what they call Fatal Rev Limiter). Also has a burn-out and launch rev limiters for the racers.
-Has a programmable Start Timing Retard function.
-Can send a RPM signal (whatever RPM you want) to your tach without the engine running for tach calibration, if you have that option.
Turns out my tach reads 100 RPM low.
-Its really small, could be hidden anywhere.

I particularly love the start timing retard. I can run up the mountain on a hot day, stop at a store for 20 minutes, and she starts right up.
No more hot start issues. My only bitch about it is the programming dials are really small. I use my phone camera to zoom in to make
sure I'm setting them in the right place.

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/pnx-510.pdf

79INA69

I have my drivers side fresh air vent deleted and the 6AL is mounted on the cabin side of the firewall in the upper left corner. Makes for short runs on some wires and a nice dry area away from heat.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
If you didn't know they are very loud, I have had them mounted in the interior of nice cars and you could always hear them.