• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

which side terminals?

rockinrich

Contributor
I am going to be buying a new battery and thought there was some talk about the preferred side of positive and negative battery terminals any opinions?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Factory position had the positive side away from the engine, and unfortunately, too close to the fender lip. Actually underneath it in some cases.
Most of us have replaced our old batteries with the reverse terminal so that the positive side is towards the radiator and the negative side toward the body.
Figure it’s safer that way, especially when working with larger than stock batteries.

It’s been so long since I’ve bought one based on that that I may have forgotten the proper terminology. But I believe the stock bronco battery is a 24F (F for Ford). The preferred battery is just that number without the F.
Or a larger 27 type. Many of us have upsized the battery to get more cranking amps and especially a longer reserve capacity.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
or, flip the stock battery around so positive is not only toward engine, but away from core and side body.

Contributor
Depending on how long your cables are and how the battery is oriented in the tray. You could possibly just flip the battery around so the positive terminal is closest to the engine. Or if you’re a like me and OCD and want to read the labels correctly when you open the hood you can get a group 24 battery.

IMG_4559.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Factory position had the positive side away from the engine, and unfortunately, too close to the fender lip. Actually underneath it in some cases.
Most of us have replaced our old batteries with the reverse terminal so that the positive side is towards the radiator and the negative side toward the body.
Figure it’s safer that way, especially when working with larger than stock batteries.

It’s been so long since I’ve bought one based on that that I may have forgotten the proper terminology. But I believe the stock bronco battery is a 24F (F for Ford). The preferred battery is just that number without the F.
Or a larger 27 type. Many of us have upsized the battery to get more cranking amps and especially a longer reserve capacity.
Thanks paul,and it's no big deal that the cables will cross each other huh?Should i add a bit of protection somehow where they cross?

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Depending on how long your cables are and how the battery is oriented in the tray. You could possibly just flip the battery around so the positive terminal is closest to the engine. Or if you’re a like me and OCD and want to read the labels correctly when you open the hood you can get a group 24 battery.

View attachment 924893
now that's the perfectly oriented battery!where are these interstates sold?i didn't see them at napa or autozone's site.

Contributor
now that's the perfectly oriented battery!where are these interstates sold?i didn't see them at napa or autozone's site.

I am a big fan of Interstate Batteries. You can use their website to find the closest dealer to you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks paul,and it's no big deal that the cables will cross each other huh?Should i add a bit of protection somehow where they cross?
It’s not a big deal if they’re not touching!
But it can be a HUGE deal if they are left unprotected, while crossing over each other and in contact.
Never let them do that.
Or make sure there is some secure sleeving around them. Sleeving of a type that is not likely to ever wear through.
if you’re getting new cables anyway, it’s easy to get them the right length that they don’t physically cross each other.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
It’s not a big deal if they’re not touching!
But it can be a HUGE deal if they are left unprotected, while crossing over each other and in contact.
Never let them do that.
Or make sure there is some secure sleeving around them. Sleeving of a type that is not likely to ever wear through.
if you’re getting new cables anyway, it’s easy to get them the right length that they don’t physically cross each other.
Thanks paul,i can get a bit longer negative cable which would eliminate any issues with coming into contact with the positive cable and i did find an odyssey battery that has the terminals in the most optimal position when turned around,which isn't easy to find a battery like that,lol,this one has 725 cca,thoughts on odyssey as a brand?Also you can get 20% off right now on them which would bring it down near the price of this other battery which i do have in my other truck going on 4 years and love it.It's a duracell platinum,the terminals aren't going to make it optimal if you turned it around like the odyssey as it would be near the grill but it has 750 cca.Same 3 year warranty,just wondering which would last longer.Would you go with a bit less cca's with the odyssey and be able to have the terminals in the best possible spot or is cca's king?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven’t heard anything to change this, but up until at least recently, Odyssey were considered one of the best. I normally don’t like to sacrifice CCA’s, but for an odyssey at 20% off, I would probably do it.
Nothing wrong with interstate either, but Odyssey are pretty highly regarded as well.

If you’re gonna get a slightly longer negative battery cable, don’t go cheap or too small. I think most of us here consider 4-gauge a minimum. With 2-gauge even better.
And considering it’s a fairly long ground run, going a little overkill on the size doesn’t hurt. Doesn’t even hurt the pocketbook more than a couple of dollars either!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And I’m kind of surprised you’re finding it hard to find the correct battery. At least in the old days, that was probably the single most common size.
And the regular, non-F type, was by far the most common as it fit in most other vehicles, including some Fords.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
I haven’t heard anything to change this, but up until at least recently, Odyssey were considered one of the best. I normally don’t like to sacrifice CCA’s, but for an odyssey at 20% off, I would probably do it.
Nothing wrong with interstate either, but Odyssey are pretty highly regarded as well.

If you’re gonna get a slightly longer negative battery cable, don’t go cheap or too small. I think most of us here consider 4-gauge a minimum. With 2-gauge even better.
And considering it’s a fairly long ground run, going a little overkill on the size doesn’t hurt. Doesn’t even hurt the pocketbook more than a couple of dollars either!
Thanks paul,i'm leaning towards the odyssey myself,there is one interstate i've seen for my bronco,the super premium that has 800 cca's and a 4 year warranty but their terminals aren't in the optimal spot even if you turn it around and not sure if that's a deal breaker anyway but they're 420.00 as compared to about 280.00 for the odyssey but it seems like their top of the line for broncos,hmmm.Also you're right about the gauge of the negative cable,i can get a 2 gauge for a few dollars more,thank you sir!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
And I’m kind of surprised you’re finding it hard to find the correct battery. At least in the old days, that was probably the single most common size.
And the regular, non-F type, was by far the most common as it fit in most other vehicles, including some Fords.
Thanks paul,well as far as being able to find a battery with the positive terminal in the most optimal position whether you needed to turn it around or not the only one i've found so far is the odyssey.Not sure i'm overthinking the whole optimal position of the positive cable i was just going off what people have said and it made sense to me,lol.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
I read the fine print on the 20% off and of course it excluded batteries so the odyssey with 725 cca's is going to run about 350.00 or so with a three year warranty or get the duralast platinum with 750 cca's and a three year warranty for about 250.00 also which i do have one and have had good luck with or get the interstate with 800 cca's and a four year warranty for about 420.00,leaning towards the interstate because of the extra year and 50 more cca's.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, longer warranty, more CCA’s and less money. Sounds pretty tempting to me.
Is it still an AGM type?