• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

why a Bronco for you?

knack

Contributor
Could it of been in Popular Mechanics? 1967 4-Wheel Drive Safari in the Rockies!

Great article! I don't think it's the same one, but my memory has failed me before.

The one I remember reading (tucked inside a textbook during some boring class,) had a page or two of specifications. Along with turning radius, I think there was the usual weight, dimensions, horsepower, gear ratios, etc.

Looking at that Pop Mechanics reminds me of a couple brothers I worked for in the 80's. Their dad owned a feed store and became a Toyota dealer by answering an ad in one of those magazines. All he had to do was buy two Land Cruisers and some shop manuals. He sold them for a while but didn't see a future in selling Toyotas, so he dropped them. Not the most shrewd business move he ever made.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Cool article - I grew up in that area and been over Ophir pass many times. Beautiful country.

BWCook

Loc.
nwmo
Before i started second grade in 72 my grandparents moved back to Iowa and we moved into their old house that had a shop out in the yard where my grandpas collection popular mechanics magazines were at . By the time was 17 i had read the 1967 4-wheel drive safari issue a dozen times.
I guess that had sold me on getting a bronco. Later on i finally ran across a green beater 71 for sale in paper .
After the brakes and u-joints were replaced, i got it licensed and was off and going. Then the state rejected my title because the shady guy i bought it from had signed something wrong and i was never able to find him again.
So i drove it for 6 months as it was then i ran across a 68 for sale that i had seen running around town so i bought it .
I after installing the D44 out of the 71 i drove the crap out of that 68 for the next 15years with several different tops and engines i picked up along the way. About the time i retired it because the windshield frame had rotted in two i picked up a 75 from New Mexico.
As of now it has been sitting in the barn for the last 20 years .
I hope to get it road worthy before long.

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
anyone else care to chime in with their story?

TheLimeRanger

I refer to my bronco as my most deeply rooted psychological disorder lol. My dad worked for Ford back in the day and bought a bronco brand new in 1974. I was born in 1972, and basically grew up in that truck. It was supposed to be mine at some point, but someone decided to change their mind. So, me being me, I said, "screw this, I'll just get my own". SOOOOO, off to Utah I went to pick up my own 1974 back in 2001. For the record, I think mine is way better :)

Montoya

I was into Ford's in high school and had an 88 F-250 on our farm in PA that I learned to drive stick on. In college I got into off-roading but couldn't afford a Bronco (good rust-free ones were going for about $5k...those were the days) so I bought a cheap CJ-7. Learned a lot about broken parts with that Jeep and had fun but I always wanted a Bronco. Finally in 2007, even though I still didn't have the money, I splurged on the 69 I have now and it's been a joy making it my own ever since.