• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will Bronco Script Valve Covers Clear Roller Rockers?

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ive got these covers on my non roller rocker 302 and want to use them on the roller 351w I have in the works.

Will they clear the roller rockers? Will the hit the baffles?

Trying to avoid pulling them off to check.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2404.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 37

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Maybe.

I don't have those exact covers but I have some almost-the-same ones from Ford, for an EFI application. The baffle under the oil filler tube didn't clear, but I realized that if the threaded bosses for the baffle were a bit shorter then all would be well. A die grinder with a small abrasive cutoff wheel (a Dremel with the same would work equally well) let me remove 1/8" from the posts and all was well. As extra insurance, pick up some thick gaskets, like the metal core silicone gaskets that Fel-Pro, Moroso, etc sell. They are almost 1/4" thick and can make the difference.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Maybe.

I don't have those exact covers but I have some almost-the-same ones from Ford, for an EFI application. The baffle under the oil filler tube didn't clear, but I realized that if the threaded bosses for the baffle were a bit shorter then all would be well. A die grinder with a small abrasive cutoff wheel (a Dremel with the same would work equally well) let me remove 1/8" from the posts and all was well. As extra insurance, pick up some thick gaskets, like the metal core silicone gaskets that Fel-Pro, Moroso, etc sell. They are almost 1/4" thick and can make the difference.
Lars,

Are yours the "Power By Ford" ones from the mid 80s Mustang? I came across a set at the junkyard a while back and picked them up hoping I could use them on the Explorer swap I'm going to do.

Don

Rebuilder

Contributor
I tried them on my 351 with roller rockers and they did not fit. They might fit with some rockers but not the ones I have.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I swapped from my 1969 302 to my 2000 5.0 without issue.

blade

Contributor
Maker of sharp things
Loc.
Santa Fe
Those look similar to the covers on my 85 mustang gt. I had to remove the baffles to run roller rockers.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Mine are these: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6000-J302R

My steel core Fel-Pro gaskets are 1/4" thick, and that was needed. The baffle under the oil fill tube hit the adjacent rocker, so I removed the baffle, cut down the cast-in bosses on the inside of the passenger side cover with a Dremel & cutoff wheel by about 1/4". That took care of clearance issues.

This was on a Blueprint 408 with the roller rockers they supply.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the feedback gents.

Will removing the baffles cause issues like oil leakage out of the breather or clogging the PCV?

blade

Contributor
Maker of sharp things
Loc.
Santa Fe
Thanks for all the feedback gents.

Will removing the baffles cause issues like oil leakage out of the breather or clogging the PCV?
I do get some oil in the breather. My motor had some miles on it when I put the rockers on so it has a bit of blow by. Not sure how it would be on a new build.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m going to say yes it does.
Baffles are there for a very important reason, and most of them are under designed even in their full glory.
Removing or modifying them (unless you’re modifying them to improve their performance) will usually result in more oil vapor condensing up in the breather and PCV areas.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I’m going to say yes it does.
Baffles are there for a very important reason, and most of them are under designed even in their full glory.
Removing or modifying them (unless you’re modifying them to improve their performance) will usually result in more oil vapor condensing up in the breather and PCV areas.
I can vouch for that. I had roller rockers on my 5.0, with OEM aluminum 88-93 Mustang 5.0 covers. Same clearance problem as with my current covers, eventually resolved the same way. But before that I tried the "no baffle" option. Bad idea. Lots of oil in intake.

We had these script covers on our 89 roller and the driver side baffle broke from the cover after a few thousand miles. Ended up going to a tall Ford Racing cover, had a little nicer baffle and no issues after a few thousand more miles.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Anybody know how deep in the valve cover the baffle needs to be to clear roller rockers, like laying a straight edge across the bottom and measuring to the baffle?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You'll have to specify the exact roller rocker I think. They are most definitely not all created equal.
Big differences in width, height, arch, overall shape (and sometimes even reach) depending on aluminum, steel, stainless, stamped, cast, forged, roller tipped only or full roller.
Too many variables until you specify a brand and model and ratio and maybe even cylinder head model.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
mine did not fit and it got into using spacers, i abandoned the rollers.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey all, I pulled the passenger side cover off and test fitted on the 351 and it clears, barely so I'm sure the drivers side baffle will have to come out. I've decided to order some tall covers to be sure. Looking at the Ford Racing -

and these Holley Sniper covers since the are beveled on both sides. Should help make room for brake booster

Thanks for all the help!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hey all, I pulled the passenger side cover off and test fitted on the 351 and it clears, barely so I'm sure the drivers side baffle will have to come out. I've decided to order some tall covers to be sure. Looking at the Ford Racing -

[/URL]

and these Holley Sniper covers since the are beveled on both sides. Should help make room for brake booster

[/URL]

Thanks for all the help!

Nice.. Good choice