• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will my hood shut.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
SO I just got through reading another post Questioning if his hood will shut.
So I Thought I ask what I'LL NEED TO DO if I use the motor I plan to use.
68 Bronco uncut . & I don't plan to cut it. But I do plan to use some lift items. one or 2 inches Body lift.
I have a 1992 ford 5.0L Ford Truck motor & AOD. I plan to use this motor & I've been wondering What kind of hood it'd take to go over that pick-up fuel injection. I also have one of those HEI GM Style one wire dist.
Now If no hood will cover up the pickup injection. Can I REMOVE THAT INJECTION STUFF & PUT ON Exploder short injection stuff.
I didn't want to swap if any way I can keep it all 92.
... I was figuring add a 2 inch lift & maybe about a 3 inch riser hood.
Whats your advise.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I have a 1972 302 carbed motor. It'd need a complete overhaul . Which I didn't want to spend the money on.
& I have the V8 THAT'S been setting in the 68 Bronco since it was wrecked about 25 years ago . It will turn over.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I belive you basically have to change the intake. Truck intakes are really tall. Mustang Lincoln, crown Vic, thunder bird, from fuel injected 5.0s should all fit

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
MAN I think you must be correct .. If a truck INTAKE would work then someone on here would have done it.
.. I'm testing the water .. But I expect I really already know the answer ..
Will those short intake just slip onto the pickup motor & no other modifications needed.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
There was a Bronco with the truck EFI manifold on it that I have seen pictures of somewhere on the internet to show why it was a bad idea.
Looked like a six inch body lift will do it.

Yes any pushrod 302/5.0 intake will fit on any other pushrod 302/5.0 (possible exception of the 'Boss 302' with Cleveland heads).

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Looks like they forgot to install master cylinder in all the excitement. Don't need no stinking brakes.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
There was a Bronco with the truck EFI manifold on it that I have seen pictures of somewhere on the internet to show why it was a bad idea.
Looked like a six inch body lift will do it.

I remember seeing the pic too. I think it was on BC Broncos old site... can't find it there now.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
From a BC Broncos page (test? old?):

Attachments

• truck upper_sb2.jpg
    truck upper_sb2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 51

Big Fish

Loc.
Bakersfield
SO I just got through reading another post Questioning if his hood will shut.
So I Thought I ask what I'LL NEED TO DO if I use the motor I plan to use.
68 Bronco uncut . & I don't plan to cut it. But I do plan to use some lift items. one or 2 inches Body lift.
I have a 1992 ford 5.0L Ford Truck motor & AOD. I plan to use this motor & I've been wondering What kind of hood it'd take to go over that pick-up fuel injection. I also have one of those HEI GM Style one wire dist.
Now If no hood will cover up the pickup injection. Can I REMOVE THAT INJECTION STUFF & PUT ON Exploder short injection stuff.
I didn't want to swap if any way I can keep it all 92.
... I was figuring add a 2 inch lift & maybe about a 3 inch riser hood.
Whats your advise.

I'm running a 351 with Pro Jection 4 from Holley and running a 2" body lift with what looks like about the same filter you show and it clears but if yours is taller use a thinner filter

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Wow that pickup intake is taller. It doesn't look that bad in the truck.
How expensive is the Holly pro injection . I'd think it'd be easier to install due to not much computer side stuff to hook up.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Holley Sniper
And
FITECH

They are at about the same price point.
They are a grand if you want the system to control your timing.
$750 if you just want it to control your fuel.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
You can avoid the aftermarket EFI adventure if you buy a used 5.0 intake off craigslist ($150?) and just swap all your sensor over to that from your 351. Then the computer know what is going on.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Hut73 .. Those 2 statements seem to have subliminal meaning.

They are a grand if you want the system to ''control your timing.''
$750 if you just want it to ''control your fuel.''
Is that saying one give better performance & the latter give better mileage.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
& PFC My experience with the converting the stock systems .. None have ran correct.
Wiring harness from Calif. It was sent back twice & then it got sent to another guy in Ft Worth & It still wasn't correct . Finally my buddy bought a Painless. It's been much better.
One of the others was the Throttle Body It never worked out ..
Due to the AOD WE got stuck with the 2 bbl carb built for that 84 302 ... Man it never worked out . He sent all these to about 4 different mechanic. This kind of work I'm not good at.
.. It looks to me like the throttle body kinds would work best for me.
I'm planning on another painless harness.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Hut73 .. Those 2 statements seem to have subliminal meaning.

They are a grand if you want the system to ''control your timing.''
$750 if you just want it to ''control your fuel.''
Is that saying one give better performance & the latter give better mileage.

The FITECH 600 series has a computer that can control your timing and your fuel.

The FITECH 400 series only controls your fuel not your timing.

I like the idea of the computer controlling my timing. I believe there could be a performance advantage there.

Kyle here at CB did the 400 series without timing control and is very happy. He used to have Ford Explorer injection and switched to FITECH and is pleased per his last post....