• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Winters Shifter for 6R80

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Anyone get the Winters shifter to work on the 6R80. I have a Winters/Art Carr shifter for a 4R70W. Would like to maybe use it on the 6R80. Probably need to add an upshift switch. Might just bite the bullet and get a Lokar. Any ideas?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Not answering your question but have been trying to decide to go winters or lokar for my 4r70w install.

I noticed that the lokar 4r70w shifter appears to cost more than the newer 6r80? I don't see a difference between the two but maybe it's in the switches?

let me know if you sell the Winters, I might be interested.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Check with Brian Cooke, nvrstk here. He's been working on a Winters solution for the 6R80.

Todd Z.

MeyerzBronco

f28dda34756fe037644dc1aa6f737c0c.jpg

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Rory at RAD designs has a micro-switch setup that works with the Winters. He used my 4r70 and took a bunch of measurements off my 6r80 on my way home with my new trans to make sure the geometry would work for that shifter and the 6r.

Check him out on the net. Great guy. Lives West of Spokane.

I run a Winters on my 6r and have adapted my Winters to it. I am going round and round with USShift on why it won't shift in the "manutronic" mode by using the latching switch to "put it" in manutronic and using a rocker switch for bumpshifting.

IF you manually shift the trans into "sport mode" (like you do for a F150) and THEN use the rocker switch for shifting it works absolutely great. I have gates cut out of my Winters and having to use "2" on my Winters wasn't part of my design and is one more gate to work around when trying to shift from Manutronic to Rev in a split second to prevent a backroll. If you look at Meyerzbronco pic he has a block off plate for keeping the shifter from going into "2".

I am hoping to run a data log for Karl at USShift and take a picture of every setting I have made for setting up my 6r80. I am not the only one dealing(I now have 3 other Bronco guys) with this exact same problem.

nvrstuk

Contributor
meyerzbronco...

Do you shift your 6r manually? If so, how?

Thanks. Trying to see if anyone can do it the way it shows in the USShift instructions.

I use manual shifting quite often around town, snowwheeling and I'm sure I will be in it 100% of the time in the rocks.

MeyerzBronco

meyerzbronco...

Do you shift your 6r manually? If so, how?

Thanks. Trying to see if anyone can do it the way it shows in the USShift instructions.

I use manual shifting quite often around town, snowwheeling and I'm sure I will be in it 100% of the time in the rocks.

Yes I do. PM me on FB with your number. Let’s talk in more detail so I understand. I’m on the East coast.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Rory at Radesigns is great to deal with, and makes great products. Being a small business owner/manufacturer he actually works with his customers, its not like dealing with the 'customer service' of a huge company or giant re-seller.

His VX shifter Is made in the USA, and has adjustable gates

http://www.radesignsproducts.com/home.html

Attachments

• 39febc47964a2acdf3eeb7c21f8fdf3f.jpg
    39febc47964a2acdf3eeb7c21f8fdf3f.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 55

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yeah, like both Jon and I mentioned, Rory has a great VX shifter and other products. I've used it and it is innovative and works smooth. Cool guy.

MeyerzBronco

I had Rad sell me the complete shifter. Not a huge fan of the shifter. Next time, I'd go with the f150 shifter.

nvrstuk

Contributor
All I've done with Rory's shifter is run it thru the gears on a trans on a trans stand in his shop.

Can you share what the slight drawbacks might be? PM me if you'd rather.

Thanks.