• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Would body lift help during restoration?

camp9k

Getting ready to replace front floor pans, aprons and want to clean up the underside. Would a body lift help with room during restoration?

Thanks
John

Attachments

• IMG_20160329_124344005.jpg
    IMG_20160329_124344005.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 83

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your rotisserie rotates, you don't need one. But you should do your panel replacements on a body dolly, not a rotisserie. It will help hold it square. You might also want to think about mounting the front of the rotisserie to the driver's floor and then put braces on the front end. Better yet, mount the body to the frame and mount the frame to the rotisserie. If you do that, you don't need a body dolly to hold it square. Mounting like you did will not only cause the body to go out of square, but you're likely to make it fold in 1/2.

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6330/ppuser/9907

http://www.broncoparts4u.com/IMG_0773.JPG

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
A modest body lift is a very nice addition. However I don't think it directly helps w/ the restorations process.

Having a little added room between the frame and body does offer more clearance for aftermarket transmissions, taller air cleaner that fits well under the stock hood, radiator mounts, taller tires, and other things...

The modest 1" body lift that wild horses offers doesn't really reveal the tell-tale gap between the bumpers and body that 2" or 3" body lifts have. That said, I'm running a 3" body lift on one of mine and aftermarket bumpers hide that gap nicely.

To get perfect body lines and the doors to work and align perfect a lot of work and patients is required to shim the body mounts as needed. Every Bronco is a little different and the fitment will be different.

Of course at minimum you'll install all new body mounts & fasteners during the restorations process. It is largely personal preference to use a body lift or not depending on your vision of stance, height, size of tires, transmission & engine used, intended use, ect....

And definitely secure the tub to the frame before cutting any sheet metal to keep if from bending or getting tweaked. You can mock up the doors and ck the alignment and lines before cutting into it. Having perfectly working doors is a pet peeve of mine and a common problem on a lot of "restored" Bronco's. Take your time, take LOTS of measurments....patients. The time spent now will directly reflect in the finished product....patients.

Last edited:
OP
OP
camp9k

camp9k

Thanks..want it to come out good and plan to run doors on this one...its on a good straight frame and I was going to brace all the door post and get good measurements before I cut or weld anything...I have a few other tubs to go off of and the doors have good hinges...all door post are good, just front floors and replace the aprons. I like the idea on a one inch lift.

Thanks
John

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
1" body lift. 2.5" suspension lift. The body lift doesn't cause any unsightly gaps and does give a little breathing room between the frame and body.

And talking helping with restoration, the main thing is to have new body mounts, lift or not. The way I did mine, since I did not have any other way, I did all my body work with the body on the frame. So first thing I replaced the body mounts so that I was sure the body attachment locations were correct height. Initially I just replaced with stock mounts. After I had completed my body I removed it for painting and then worked to restore the frame. Then later I went with the 1" WH body lift for final assembly.

IMG_2256_zps3xcoygt8.jpg

Last edited: