• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wrong vin stamped or wong one entered?

Lando375

So I got the body off the frame and I was able to find the vin on the frame. It's a 1972 with U15FLM stamped on the frame. The title has U15GLM. I did a little research and I found that the F in U15FLM means it came with a 6 cylinder engine. The G in U15GLM means it came with a 302. Well it has a 302 in it so now I'm confused. I looked at the engine mounts and they look factory. Is there any other way to tell if the engine was swapped to a V8? Could it be a mistake with Ford on the vin? The vin tag has the G. I'm not worried about the registration I'm just trying to figure out the mystery. I'm sure it's not some elaborate scam were someone along the way was able to find a title with all the letters and numbers matching but the engine size.

Any ideas guys?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The guy on the line was still hungover from the football party the night before. Several have found mistakes before.

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

Okay the plot thickens! For kicks I removed the starter and checked the block stamp. I found c5ae-6015e which turns out to be a 289 hipo block. I still don't see any evidence of a V8 swap though.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of swaps happened over the last 48 years. If the engine is relatively unmolested you could probably sell it and pay for a crap ton of Bronco parts!
Or keep it for the cool factor if for nothing else. Nice engines! Great bench racing bragging rights around the campfire too.

A Marti Report might clear up the VIN discrepancy though. There can't be two Broncos with the M and your number sequence. So only one will show up and it would either have the F or G engine.

Good luck. Definitely a puzzlement.

Paul

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Like mentioned above, do the $16 Marti on whichever vin, they'll tell you "vin not found" if it's the incorrect one.

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

Like mentioned above, do the $16 Marti on whichever vin, they'll tell you "vin not found" if it's the incorrect one.

Thanks looking at that right now. Guess I could do one for each vin and see which one is wrong.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Okay the plot thickens! For kicks I removed the starter and checked the block stamp. I found c5ae-6015e which turns out to be a 289 hipo block. I still don't see any evidence of a V8 swap though.

Going to burst your bubble a little on this one. That block number was used on all '65-67 289s. The Hipo being one of them. As well as the base low compression 2-barrel 289. The hipo parts were selected after casting. The bigger main caps, threaded galley holes behind the timing set, maybe a partial VIN. And there is the stuff put in and on the block that make it a K-code. The Brinell mark on the crank, different timing set, different crank damper, larger alternator pulley, non-vacuum advance distributor, etc.

So you have a 289 block. That is all the casting number confirms. It isn't even a guarantee of a 289 as the early 302 cranks fit. The original engine may have gone in for a rebuild and had damage so another block was used, the 289 block. Since they are interchangeable. Won't know unless you open up the engine.

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

Yep. After further internet searches and an inspection I looked under the valve covers and saw the "T". lm sure this just a 289 block with some truck heads. No worries. It was always coming out for more displacement. I ordered the Martri report for it so we'll see what they say.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
vin

C5ae-6015-E is the same casting number for the hipo 289 as well as the common 289; You will have to investigate further to see if it is a real Hipo 289; i.e thicker main caps, solid lifter cam and lifters, eyebrows under valve springs, screw in studs in heads, thicker harmonic balancer; Counter weight on timing sprocket, etc.

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

Here's a quick update. I sent off the Marti report and it turns out the vin on the frame is not a good vin but the vin on the title is a valid vin. We'll see what the report says when I get it back.

awest5321

Contributor
Loc.
Exit 79 on I85
Here's a quick update. I sent off the Marti report and it turns out the vin on the frame is not a good vin but the vin on the title is a valid vin. We'll see what the report says when I get it back.
This is very old thread but what was the verdict on the Vin mystery?

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

This is very old thread but what was the verdict on the Vin mystery?
Apparently the guy stamping them was off his game that day. The vin and title are of by one letter. It was originally sold as U15GLM.