• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yet another v-belt 302 question

jake2077

71' Bronco with the 302 that I've rebuilt (the one with rust in two cylinders) finally after some time. I am struggling with what standards to follow when connecting the accessories to the drive pulley. Pictures below using the ford power steering pump. The original belt was skinnier than what O'Reilly's provided for the PS but the other connecting the alternator and water pump look to match. I keep coming across the reference diagram below as well. Which is the 'right' way to route the PS belt?

rreQ96H.jpg

5E3xT0w.jpg

fDRhWSp.jpg

VYOuCom.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Being a '71 never had power steering, you are dealing with that being added. So I know you are not dealing with all stock parts. Well you are dealing with stock parts, just from unknown sources.

Before you get too crazy, double check your fan clearance. Broncos and 3-groove crank pulleys are not generally good together. That might just add another fly to the soup.

As far as belts go, they run in a single plane. While you can often get a belt on that isn't lining up, the pulleys being offset, it will eat belts if not just downright throw the belt at bad times. Hard to really know looking for a 3D problem in a 2D photo taken at an angle. If you stand directly in line with the belt (where you don't want to be if the belt get tossed) how do all the pulleys line up?

FYI, when I added power steering I ended up having to move the alternator forward for the belt to line up forward of the power steering. Right or wrong, that was how it was done. Actually I cheated, I had a double groove alternator pulley and put the belt on the forward groove. I think it still took a washer to do the final shimming/aligning. But I was also working with 80's brackets.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You may want to go with these pulleys (LINK) from WH since they already did the head scratching and problem solving. I bought them after chasing issues such as you are having. Wish I would have done it sooner.

Attachments

• IMG_9789.jpg
    IMG_9789.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9790.jpg
    IMG_9790.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 27

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
could be an optical illusion from the angle of the pics but it looks to me like something is off about the crank pully.......looks like the back two grooves wouldn't line up with anything.

OP
OP
jake2077

jake2077

could be an optical illusion from the angle of the pics but it looks to me like something is off about the crank pully.......looks like the back two grooves wouldn't line up with anything.
The inner most one does line up with the steering pump but the thickness is not the same compared to the steering pump. It did work before in the same position but with a thinner belt.