• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF + TRex = Drive Line problems

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like you have more than enough good ideas but have you considered a narrowed HP 44? I'm guessing it wouldn't solve all of your issues but it sure would help quite a bit.

BanditBronco

DirtDonk, you are the man sir.

How do you feel about tapping new holes in the frame vs putting a sleeve in there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The original 4 holes have a nut backer, I definitely would do something, besides drill and tap the frame. whether that is a weld in nut, full sleeve, threaded bung, or floating nut plate.

Big Slim

i ordered the same cross member and sent it back. had the same problem. i think this cross member is used for another transmission, they tried the dual use but failed. seemed like the tubular version was ok but they said they had problems with the machine shop. i am still trying to figure out how to build one.

would a rivet nut work?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
would a rivet nut work?

The concept is valid, but with the type you usually see as a consumer product, I'm not sure I'd trust them for these duties.
If there is an industrial version however, it might be something to look into.

Paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Would a rivet nut work?

Maybe...I haven't done much sheet metal design work in a while, but if my memory serves me correctly, most of the sheet metal thread inserts don't go beyond 3/8-16 fasteners, and smaller on some types of inserts, so what size fasteners are needed with those crossmember bolts?

OP
OP
S

stevenson44

Maybe...I haven't done much sheet metal design work in a while, but if my memory serves me correctly, most of the sheet metal thread inserts don't go beyond 3/8-16 fasteners, and smaller on some types of inserts, so what size fasteners are needed with those crossmember bolts?

Apogee, thanks for your help.

They are 3/8

OP
OP
S

stevenson44

i ordered the same cross member and sent it back. had the same problem. i think this cross member is used for another transmission, they tried the dual use but failed. seemed like the tubular version was ok but they said they had problems with the machine shop. i am still trying to figure out how to build one.

would a rivet nut work?

Big Slim,

Sorry it didn't work for you. I was excited to get it, cross member looks awesome and fits between the frame rails perfectly. I need a Bluetooth driveshaft lol.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
You probably did thisbut when thetrans goes up higher thedrivepine angles increase also.

Just a heads up!

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Had a similar issue with the AA cross member fro a 6R80. We ended up having to cut the cross member apart and modify it to work, looks like you may have to do the same for your setup.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmmmm, I think it's the wrong cross member as well. My NV4500 uses a similar style mount, but sits much further back and uses stock frame mount points. TheD20 front yoke rides halfway over the mount plate. I think mine is advance adapters, maybe give them a call.

Look at my build thread post 34 pic 4, mount is right at the back end of the arm brackets yours sits most in front, That BC bracket ain't right.