• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1989 5.0 Mustang Serpentine Belt Setup w/o A/C and Smog Pump

contactwilson

I am in the process of installing a 1989 Mustang 5.0 in my 1972 Bronco. I am using all the 5.0 engine accessories and serpentine belt setup. I do not need to run the smog pump or air conditioning. I would like to take out the components. I have seen smog pump and A/C pulleys you can buy to replace these. I am trying to do this on a budget for now (laid off). I can spend more money for something more trick in the future. I do have access to a large pick a part. Any suggestions (different belt length tricks, other vehicle brackets)???

iamfastrr

Belt Options

Here take a look at these...

Attachments

• 1spTech_50belts.gif
    1spTech_50belts.gif
    124.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
you can just bypass the smog with a shorter belt, but you will need to find the correct brackets to move the ps up to the ac spot. The ford racing kit is approx $40.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Leave the smog pump on, do not hook it up, like an idler pulley... Remove it latter when you have extra $$$

meadowblaster

I just went to the local ford dealer today and picked up the A/c eliminator kit
I had on order. If anyone needs pics of the kit or installation, I will probably put it on tomorrow. I also just removed the smog pump and ran a shorter belt, no idler pulley needed there.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Belt length with no smog is 84.5. With the ac delete you might be able to use the same one if it adds a idler where the ac pump was. For a while I left the mustang ac pump on there just incase, now I have the bc a/c with the multisteer bracket.

OP
OP
contactwilson

contactwilson

I need to buy a new belt, so I can run the shorter belt without the pump. I appreciate all the input. For future reference, how much is the A/C delete kit?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
The big question is what are your plans in the future for PS pump. If you want to go Saginaw here is one way: http://www.azbronco.org/tech08.htm.

If you want to use the stock pump or Napa? Here is another way. http://www.broncohio.com/tech/napapump.html. Napa doesn't carry the pump anymore but BC Broncos did have it at one time. It can be ordered from most auto supply stores.

Plus many other choices from the site sponsors.

I have the Ford racing brackets (see picture and http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=2424) and the stuff necessary for the Todd Z mount.

Attachments

• Photo001.jpg
    Photo001.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Just remove the pump and use the shorter belt. Ford Motorsports sell the ac delete but I dont remember how much it is, maybe 40 but I am not sure

OP
OP
contactwilson

contactwilson

I might be able to afford the A/C delete kit (move the PS where this goes) and bypass the smog altogether. The schematic above shows to use a 73" belt. Anyone know the part number for this belt?

OP
OP
contactwilson

contactwilson

I think I can afford the A/C delete kit. The diagram posted I will use shows to use a 73" belt. Anyone know the part number for this?

meadowblaster

I just installed the for a/c delete kit last night. I also have removed my smog pump. The a/c delete kit was $36 from the local ford dealer. I read many mustang websites about belt length and they were all different. I used a
70 1/2" belt on mine, it was tight getting on but worked better once on than a 71" did.

OP
OP
contactwilson

contactwilson

Do you know what the brand and part number you used for the 70.5" and the 71" belts?

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Dayco poly rib or poly cog- poly rib is better- 5060705 for the 70.5 and 5060710 for the 71.0. You can get them at at parts stores

57baja

Contributor
Just leave the accessories on just don't hook up a/c or smog stuff you won't gain anything if you leave them off.