• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dull Clunk in front end - need ideas

Thriller

Hi this is my first post here. Usually im a board lurker. I have a 72 with a james duff 3 1/2 lift and duff extended radius arms and were going through a rough patch in our relationship right now. Ive been getting this dull clunk, its something up front and happens when I go over bumps and potholes. Ive checked just about everything for play, no play in the ball joints (new), spindle bearings seem fine, replaced track bar bushings, c cups are new (though i suspect them a little), replaced the drag link cause of a little play.

Still nothing so I decided it might be the engine mounts - no. So its the tranny mount then - no. Im kinda suspecting the bushings connecting the extended radius arms to the c cup holders, but they seem solid.

I cant recreate the sound in the driveway so im almost to the point of grabbing the front axle laying on a creeper and having someone drive the thing with me under it. Im not there yet though cause that sounds like a quick way to a darwin award. Can anyone help me here, this happen too anyone else?

OP
OP
T

Thriller

I thought about that, took em off to see if it still happened, it did. But I was having fun punching the throttle bouncing the front end. I was kinda over doing it and some black guys in a lowered car on airbags passed me laughing their asses off. lol