• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's a bigger PITA, drillling the pitman or removing it?

Bundy

Bronco Guru
The reason I ask is because I am installing my stonercrusher TRO kit and I bought the BCB heim stud so that I wouldn't have to mess with the pitman arm but of course, my pitman arm is special and the stud doesn't fit (pitman bore is not large enough to fully seat the stud).

I can opt out of using the BCB heim and just drill out the pitman arm and use the 3/$" hardware that came with the stonecrusher kit, but after searching around I see doing that is quite a bitch to drill out the pitman and looks to be even more of a bitch to remove the pitman arm.

I also can't find a puller big enough to fit around the pitman arm. I have a 68' with a 76-77 D44 front end, is it possible I have the 68' pitman arm and that's why it doesn't fit?

My main questions are, which is going to be harder:

-drill out the pitman while it's on the steering box (from the bottom, lot's of cutting oil)?

- or finding the right pitman puller, remove the pitman and use the drill press?

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Locate the correct puller, or grind the sides of the piman arm to fit the slightly smaller puller.
I personally would not drill any of my steering components for heims without using a drill press.

jrcflash

Definitely use a puller and get the arm onto a drill press before reaming. I did not and my reamer did not go through exactly square...

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Damn, well I hand drilled it so I guess I'll hope it isn't too sloppy. This is mostly for trail anyway, but I'll pickup a new pitman arm and puller to have in the ole parts bin.

Tortuga, I think you just have to shell out the dough for a good one eh? I'm scared to buy another POS that says it's for cars and "light trucks"... they are shit.

There has got to be a good one out there... I'm gonna go hunt on snap-on's site and sears maybe.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought a 2-jaw pulley puller at Sears for mine. Worked good and multi purpose.

tortuga

All I can say is the snapon puller worked when everything else failed - broke 2 of my own plus the only parts-shop version that would fit, beat & heat didn't work either.

The link I posted looks good to me but I can't vouch for it. Might go ahead and order one just to check it out and be ready for next time though.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
It's all about finding that right tool. How different are the pitman arms on EB's through it's production? I just dunno what is on there now, but it looks like it's been on there quite a while hahaha

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
again, use a 2 jaw puller, and when you have it under tension smack the top of the pitman arm with a small sledge. after thinking about it, you must have a '77 pitman arm because their ball joint is smaller diameter than the earlier ones. i have a early pitman arm if you need one still. call me.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
again, use a 2 jaw puller, and when you have it under tension smack the top of the pitman arm with a small sledge. after thinking about it, you must have a '77 pitman arm because their ball joint is smaller diameter than the earlier ones. i have a early pitman arm if you need one still. call me.

Well I'll see how the hand drilled hole is... anything has got to be better than the inverted Y. I'll definitely pick that pitman arm up from you though since I have the BCB stud for a backup.

Trapperbob10

O'Riely rent a puller and lots of PB blaster has worked for me. Just got finished pulling the '71s pittman arm to recenter the box.

Just cant get impatient, soak pittman arm with PB, torque the b**ch down, and the just let it sit there. Come back a little later, torque it down some more, maybe hit it with a BFH, and eventually, it will come off.

Trap

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
x2 take a grinder and grind a little bit off the sides of the pittman arm so your narrow puller fits over it. as simple as 1,2,3.