• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about cut Bronco with bigger tires on stock suspension

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
I’m still thinking through my project Bronco and am trying to figure out how low I can keep it while running bigger tires. I like stock height suspension or very minimal lift. The project Bronco has a lot of rust including through the inner and outer rockers. As such I’m considering leaving the rockers cut and running rock sliders through mid section. If I do this and cut front and rear fenders up to near body line and run Wild Horses warflares, with a replacement OEM suspension or small 1” lift how big of a tire can I run on a OEM steel or equivalent rim? Bronco will be on road for the most part so mainly concerned with not rubbing any body parts or suspension in normal driving or turning. Attached is pic of Bronco with cutoff line.

Attachments

• BDD18FFD-CA49-409E-B03D-8671FE63E195.jpeg
    BDD18FFD-CA49-409E-B03D-8671FE63E195.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 67

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
A 1 inch body lift would be what I would use instead of trying to lift the suspension an inch.

OP
OP
TX SS

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
Stock suspension and cut you could run a 33-10:50 on the stock rims

Thanks. I figured a 33” would fit as I’ve seen WH do it in a video they have out there. Does taking the fender flare up to near body line with wide cut and leaving rockers out give me any more room for anything bigger?

A 1 inch body lift would be what I would use instead of trying to lift the suspension an inch.

Thanks. Yes 1” body lift is for consideration in this scenario

I really like the look of user Built Fords half cab (his pic attached). He is running small body lift but with full width axles which I imagine help with spacing and rubbing issues. Think these are 35” or maybe bigger? I’m trying to run stock or 1” lift but with stock axles.

Attachments

• BE919B03-F502-497C-8E1D-8F086225FD8D.jpg
    BE919B03-F502-497C-8E1D-8F086225FD8D.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 88

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
That 1 inch body lift makes working on the truck a little easier. I used WH and was happy with it. Ken

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
With larger tires and little to no lift you have to watch the lower front fender where the support rod is. The tires hits here when turning tight. this can be trimmed back some without being visible.

The rear of the front fender well where the inner wheel well meets the inner fender There is a long vertical strip of metal. it will put a vertical slice in your tire on a hard bump. On my bronco I trimmed this piece of sheet metal back to where it meets the inner wheel well.

The rear wheel well in the front where the inner wheel well hangs down and is folded over towards the tire. There is a hook of metal that will take chunks out of your tires when your tire swings up into the wheel well on compression. This needs to be bent flat towards the front of the truck. That way the tire will rub in the wheel well flat and not get cut up on any thing.

Watch your screws mounting the flairs. Old school pop rivets that don't go in to far are great as are short bolts and nuts. The sheet metal drive in screws can be too long and get hung up on the tire when things are really close.

Kermitt

what did everyone end up doing, I’m hoping to run 35’s with stock suspension, 1” body lift and some wheel spacers. Do you all think that could work?

OP
OP
TX SS

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
I ended up going with Wildhorses 4x4 1.5” lift front coil springs and stock height 10 pack leaf springs. No body lift. Tires are 315/75/16 on 16x8 wheels with 4” backspacing. I cut fenders to match up to Wildhorses gorilla warfares, which are some of the larger flares out there. Made my own slim rocker and trimmed bottom of fenders front and back to align everything. I don’t rub any of the body because of what all I cut. I set the steering stops to keep tires out of radius arms, which does limit turning radius somewhat.

Attachments

• IMG_8330.jpeg
    IMG_8330.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7333.jpeg
    IMG_7333.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1570.jpeg
    IMG_1570.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 53

Kermitt

Thanks for sharing, your rig looks great. So 315's are damn close to 35"'s

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
cut up to bodyline and inner fender trimming, you can stuff 37"s under it with stock height.
this is my plan as I am lowering my yellow77