• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w project

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Starting my 4r70w installation. I need to find out the size and thread count for the nut on the shifter shaft. Anyone know?
292b1da04fb05aecf912c26e523f364e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

BanditBronco

What shifter do you plan on running? If you are going aftermarket sometimes the new lever comes with a fresh nut.

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What shifter do you plan on running? If you are going aftermarket sometimes the new lever comes with a fresh nut.

Plan on using a Lokar Electronic Sport Shifter. It came with an new shifter shaft and arm. The arm is removable and fits the factory shifter shaft. Difference is the new setup utilizes a bolt that treads into the shaft instead of a nut treading on to the shaft. Was hoping to find the correct size bolt so I don't have to drop pan to install the new shifter shaft. Afraid it might void warranty on the new Monster 4r70w.

BanditBronco

Plan on using a Lokar Electronic Sport Shifter. It came with an new shifter shaft and arm. The arm is removable and fits the factory shifter shaft. Difference is the new setup utilizes a bolt that treads into the shaft instead of a nut treading on to the shaft. Was hoping to find the correct size bolt so I don't have to drop pan to install the new shifter shaft. Afraid it might void warranty on the new Monster 4r70w.

I see, in my experience even running all shifter parts that supposedly worked for a 4r70w I still ended up having to drop the pan to replace a shift shaft as well as to watch the de-tents inside the transmission. It took me a few nights of fiddling to get everything to line up right and hit each de-tent perfect every time, they each have a different throw length.

If it were me, I would be dropping the pan, since it is probably going to leak anyway haha and installing the shaft that came in the kit.

I looked around on the world wide web a little for the nut size and didn't come up with anything either. Time to get the tap set out and match it up, if you mess up the shaft that is okay, you have a spare!

rafitz24

Well, still haven't determined what size nut fits the shifter shaft. Not a 10mm. It catches a thread or two then stops. Maybe next size up?

rafitz24

Got tired of trying to get crossmember out from below. Couldn't get to the mount nut on drivers side.

Decided to go on and pull floor mat and seats to get to the twin stick access cover I fabricated during the build.

Now that it's open I think I know where the Transmission fluid was leaking from. Can you spot what's wrong in this picture?
e86da6d34e1e6348b373c5e83b397671.jpg

rafitz24

Won't be recommending the shop that rebuilt the C4 couple years ago. Wish I'd seen this before spending all the money to upgrade to a 4r70w.

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, found that a M10-1.5 nut fits the shifter shaft.:)

rafitz24

D20 is out. C4 is next on the list to remove. Then it will be time to start putting the new tranny in.

Anyone know what the best sequence is to put together WH 4r70w adapter to install D20 to 4r70w? The instructions only have a diagram. No instructions.

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
i'm getting ready to convert over to a 4r as well,what flexplate are you going to use? and what crossmember are you going with? thanks!

rafitz24

Using existing flex plate from
i'm getting ready to convert over to a 4r as well,what flexplate are you going to use? and what crossmember are you going with? thanks!
Going to use existing flex plate for C4. Going to modify stock crossmember to clear new adapter.

rafitz24

Length comparison of C4 to 4r70w is greater than anticipated. Most of what the AA and WH description state the 4r70w with their D20 adapter will be approximately 1.5" longer than stock C4 setup.

Now that the C4 is out and next to new 4r70w, I was able to accurately measure both.

I'm using WH adapter for 4r70w 4x4 so I didn't have to change the transmission rear shaft. It's Advanced Adapters item #8337 (on 50-2704A).

My measurements for the C4 with D20 adapter was 24 3/4" from Bell Housing to mounting surface of the D20. The 4r70w with D20 adapter measurements was 27". This adapter also uses an additional adapter ring that is 1 3/8" thick. So total 4r70w with adapters is 28 3/8" from Bell Housing to mounting surface of the D20.

This makes the 4r70w setup 3 5/8" longer than the stock C4 setup. Hopefully rear driveshaft angle with my 4 1/2" lift won't be too steep.
d12cba66f4222578f9713e23dd304dd0.jpg
581f18fbf883020fd18603829d3e761f.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Look forward to final result boss

Hopefully just in time for OCBR

D20 is out. C4 is next on the list to remove. Then it will be time to start putting the new tranny in.

Anyone know what the best sequence is to put together WH 4r70w adapter to install D20 to 4r70w? The instructions only have a diagram. No instructions.

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
wow,thats quite a difference from what I was expecting

Just noticed you're in Beaumont. Not too far from me in Orange. Do you know a good driveshaft shop there?

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, on to next problem encountered. The TC that Monster Transmission sent with the tranny doesn't work with my flex plate. The new TC bolts have a wider spread than the one from the C4.

Now, do I get them to ship another and return the other, or do I purhase a new flex plate? Not sure about what model year 302 I have or what flex plate. It is 164 tooth but not sure of balance. Any way to determine which?

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
Just noticed you're in Beaumont. Not too far from me in Orange. Do you know a good driveshaft shop there?

hey,didnt realize you were in orange..there is a shop in Beaumont I have used before,its off college street, its called driveshaft specialties

Driveshaft Specialties

Address: 855 Delmar Dr, Beaumont, TX 77707