• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering radiator needed for Explorer swap?

kat

Loc.
Bristol
So, my 76 had a stock 302 in it but now has a '98 351W with a '98 Explorer serpentine swap. Along with this is the newer style power steering pump. I still have the power steering pump hooked to an aftermarket power steering cooler that is mounted on front of main radiator that was there when I had the 302 in it. Im starting to get some leaks around the hoses where they are clamped on to cooler. I was going to put new hoses and clamps on it but thought about getting rid of the whole cooling system all together. BTW if it matters,I still have stock steering box. Thanks for any direction or even pictures of what you have done. Thanks again

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I have put PS coolers on all my Broncos... Usually, one from Summit: Derali #DER-13200 PS cooler

And for some reason, I am not getting the option to post pictures? I know I am curreny...

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I have put PS coolers on all my Broncos... Usually, one from Summit: Derali #DER-13200 PS cooler

And for some reason, I am not getting the option to post pictures? I know I am curreny...
That is similar of what I have. Maybe I'll just swap out new lines and clamps. I hate the leak

71BroncoSport

Along with this is the newer style power steering pump.
What do you mean by newer style? My Explorer sway is not producing power steering assist so I'm thinking the pump is bad and looking to replace it. Is this an upgrade to OEM? Thanks.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
What do you mean by newer style? My Explorer sway is not producing power steering assist so I'm thinking the pump is bad and looking to replace it. Is this an upgrade to OEM? Thanks.
I don't have a pic of it, but it is a stock Explorer PS pump. Sits high and made of clear plastic.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I run a ps cooler in front of the rad. I have all an fittings. No leaks at all for the 10 years I've been running Explorer Serpentine System.
AN fittings certainly aren't necessary but they are a kind of "set it and forget it" kind of option.
I feel that we are asking a lot of these little Explorer pumps with our 33's or 35's or 37's, etc...so I think a cooler is a must. Having said that I'm very impressed with my stock Explorer ps pump with my 35's.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I don't have a pic of it, but it is a stock Explorer PS pump. Sits high and made of clear plastic.
What does your plastic reservoir have to do with cooling or cooling leaks? Kind of lost me ...
You can bolt a plate to the reservoir mount then bolt the reservoir down lower if its too high for you?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you can, grab one off an f350, huge, huge I say. And yes, you need a cooler even if it’s the little 3 inch stock one, need to get the heat out of the fluid. You don’t need a big cooler in front of radiator, I think. Ambient airflow should be enough.

Last edited: