• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New glass - tinted or not?

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
She’s finally ready for glass - windshield, both door windows, and top glass. (Maintaining original vent windows)
e52865ec5b655589f88c286cd18e8706.jpg
780c4582a7b36325d94d915d40e38b5a.jpg

Some vendors offer clear and tinted.
Windshield seems to be either tinted a subtle green “anti sun glare” whereas the other windows are tinted gray.
I like the idea of tint for heat reduction and sun glare reduction but don’t want it to look cheesy or ghetto either. I’ve not seen these tinted offerings in person so I have no perspective.
If I went clear all around, I guess I could tint it later with a film of my choosing.
What’s everyone doing generally?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You will want the tint. It is not anything like the aftermarket window film type tints you are thinking about. Check with the vender to verify (they could always of found something new).

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
My windshield has the slight greenish tint which is barely noticeable. I had the rest of the glass done in Panaflex 75 ceramic. It’s slightly lighter than most new cars. It looks darker in pictures outdoors. Here’s a picture in the tint shop, and one outside.

BTW: That’s a “Hillary for PRISON” bumper sticker in that pic. Don’t want anybody getting the wrong idea.
b57497cf7d5cd4dd95e5ede2fef56796.jpg

b7fb6ec49891d2d07dce6688f1bbd131.jpg

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For reference, window tint is rated in the amount allowed to pass (not blocked)
50% film is usually the "light tint"
30% film is the "dark tint"
5% is limo tint.

70-75% is sometimes used on windshields around here. Not legal, but not noticeable either. I have a friend who bought a truck with it and was only noticeable on really dark roads at night.

The tinted glass you are looking at is 90-95% transparency over the clear at 97-99% or there about. The 75% isn't even that noticeable in the pictures above.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
would think the smoke gray would look best with your blue

OP
OP
J

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
Thanks for all the responses. Tinted glass for the win.
Of the vendors that appear to offer glass, LMC Truck is by far the cheapest (vs Tom’s, Jeff’s, and WH doesn’t appear to offer it). The only issue with LMC, as usual, is they don’t provide any real detail or information on the amount of tint or anything really.
Anyone buy the LMC tinted glass or have a lead on a good place to source it? (I’m in Oklahoma)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OKC? Make a road trip up the KC and pick it up. For what shipping will cost, and you get to see it in person before putting out the cash. Then drool at the showroom and think of all the stuff you could buy while you are in there. Bonus is it is on the south side of KC in Olathe. But I would call and make arrangements first, it would suck to show up and they are out of stock.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Thanks for all the responses. Tinted glass for the win.
Of the vendors that appear to offer glass, LMC Truck is by far the cheapest (vs Tom’s, Jeff’s, and WH doesn’t appear to offer it). The only issue with LMC, as usual, is they don’t provide any real detail or information on the amount of tint or anything really.
Anyone buy the LMC tinted glass or have a lead on a good place to source it? (I’m in Oklahoma)

can always try this...……..free shipping (insured). All others want 100.00+ to ship.

https://www.amazon.com/PPR-Industries-Classic-Replacement-Windshield/dp/B00NP8IFVA

jeff.depaul

joshd1971bronco so what did you end up going with for windshield? I am at the same point with mine and finding shipping is more than the glass itself.

OP
OP
J

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
I ended up getting all glass from Tom's - windshield and all the glass for the top. I did not buy new door glass as mine was still in decent shape.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow. Tom's packaged it well, arrived undamaged, and installed fine.

Happy.

I'd rather be driving my Bronco

OP
OP
J

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
Here you go. As you can see, the tint is noticeable from the outside but it's not that much of a difference from the inside looking out. The front windshield is that 'solar green'.
15d912bd218b41b088f62e8caf85f2d6.jpg
84ffde9f52ae011eef950eb6080d567c.jpg
0d38ff51942027c4925206e548fb1142.jpg
b82906368d00981e15b2a949dc2b6df1.jpg
7d787e3609cfffeb930955db61ebab46.jpg

rdullery76

How long you gonna keep your Bronco? The reason I ask is that for many of us, as we age, we develop cataracts, which is a clouding of the lens. As they worsen, we need more light to see things clearly, especially if you are driving at night. I had cataract surgery to correct this issue and found my night driving significantly improved.

I recently chose the nontinted replacement windshield for my 76 Bronco, which actually has a light green tint, and wear sunglasses on bright days.

Also, when travelling back country I prefer seeing the true color of the countryside.

Just another parameter to consider

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Not that I am not for supporting our supporting vendors, but when I needed a new windshield I just called a local automotive glass shop chain and said I needed a windshield and gasket without the chrome ring and they came out and installed it while it was in my garage. Too easy. It has the original greenish anti glare.

OP
OP
J

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
Good point. I tried that here. Took me four different places til I found someone that could only special order the front glass. No one could get the rest of the glass. So, I ended up ordering.

sandrahof

Hey, thanks for sharing the photo of your car with tinted windows! I think it looks really cool, and I can definitely see the benefits of tint for reducing heat and glare. However, I personally decided to go with car sunshades for my new car instead of tinted windows. Sunshades are a little easier to install and remove, and I don't have to worry about any legal restrictions on tint levels in my state. I've been using sunshades from https://snapshades.com/, and they've been working really well for me. They block out a lot of the heat and glare, and they're also really convenient to use. Just thought I'd share my experience with you in case you're considering your options.

Last edited: