• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Middle seat belt for back seat?

stokes50

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did yours originally have a back seat? If so do you have the four holes from the factory to utilize for the center belt?
Seems like a center lap belt would function fairly straightforwardly.
Although I’ve never done it.

Three-point would be problematic for sure I would think, but I’m sure others will be more creative.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I cant picture three people in the back set... My two kids fill it up without room for a third.... Just for "idea sake", attached is a pic of the seatbelt mounting plate I added (mostly so I could install child-seats for when they were younger). Doing something like that will open up options for the "lap-portion" of the belt. The only other way I can think of is installing a bar across the back of the seat to allow for 4-point harnesses. If you do go that route, you must be very careful of the routing of the shoulder webbing and anchor points so that the harness does not pull down on the shoulders (compressing the spine) during an accident.
Also, take note that your rear seat has headrests for two occupants. While they do provide some degree of comfort, they are mostly there as a safety device to minimize the head snapping backwards during an accident. A third occupant will not have protection in that seat.

Attachments

• IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
get a lap belt for a ford van and share the anchor bolts with the ones already there. the van belts are longer so they can work with the spread. trouble is finding an early van to rob the belts from.

OP
OP
stokes50

stokes50

Did yours originally have a back seat? If so do you have the four holes from the factory to utilize for the center belt?
Seems like a center lap belt would function fairly straightforwardly.
Although I’ve never done it.

Three-point would be problematic for sure I would think, but I’m sure others will be more creative.
It didn’t come w a back seat. I installed one.

OP
OP
stokes50

stokes50

get a lap belt for a ford van and share the anchor bolts with the ones already there. the van belts are longer so they can work with the spread. trouble is finding an early van to rob the belts from.
I actually purchased a lap belt this past week from Tom’s off-road. I’m going to see how that works. Thanks!