• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

In Depth Discussion - Selling Title and Glovebox Door with Tag, Title Issues, etc.

Jaybr

Contributor
I'll add that in VA selling a title wouldn't work too well. Our titles act as a bill of sale and when you sell a vehicle you fill out sections of the title showing who you are transferring the vehicle too and the amount they paid for it. I suppose it would be legal to sell a title as a novelty if you didn't fill that part out, but then a transfer would not be allowed.

I'll add that in 40+ years of registering vehicles I've never had anyone at DMV inspect the vehicle for the VIN.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I'll add that in 40+ years of registering vehicles I've never had anyone at DMV inspect the vehicle for the VIN.
Here in Cali1984nia, they don't inspect the VIN for a transfer as long as the vehicle was registered in CA before & is still in the system.

But if it's an out of state vehicle you have to have the VIN inspected. I've been through that process twice. One time the inspector used a door post VIN, the other vehicle had the fixed VIN on the dash & he used that. My understanding us that they can choose to look for the frame VIN instead anytime, but those 2 guys didn't. I was pretty surprised that the one guy used the door post tag, but didn't argue with him.

If it's been unregistered for so long that it fell out of the DMV system I think that also requires a VIN check.

blade

Contributor
Maker of sharp things
Loc.
Santa Fe
If it's been unregistered for so long that it fell out of the DMV system I think that also requires a VIN check.
I believe that is how it works here in NM also. Anything out of the system requires a VIN inspection even if you have a NM title for it.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have done it 3 times here (Idaho) and never had them crawled under, they find the easiest to get to vin and sign off.

OP
OP
bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I know that in Texas when applying for a bonded title (I've done this 2x) they have the local police department check the vehicle for the official VIN. In San Antonio, the local vehicle theft division is responsible for this, and they know to look for the frame VIN on the Bronco.

Not sure on something titled out of state, but I'll know soon enough -- I have to title my '69 in Texas this summer.

Grizracing11

I bought my Bronco and the guy can't find the title.
Just talked to a friend of mine who's a deputy and he said it's no problem. They send a deputy to my house to verify the Vin and give you a paper to take to motor vehicle to get a new one. I told him the # on the e frame is scaled off and he said no problem as long as I got the glove box in which I do..he's coming ttomorrow so I should know more.then.

OP
OP
bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I bought my Bronco and the guy can't find the title.
Just talked to a friend of mine who's a deputy and he said it's no problem. They send a deputy to my house to verify the Vin and give you a paper to take to motor vehicle to get a new one. I told him the # on the e frame is scaled off and he said no problem as long as I got the glove box in which I do..he's coming ttomorrow so I should know more.then.

What state? Laws vary greatly state to state.

Grizracing11

My bronco has been purged out of the system because it hasn't been registered in yrs. I'm in a small village so things are a little easier here in NY.